carbonating filtered beer - a thought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasterJ

Reaction score
long time lurker, first time poster.

I've made a few batches so far, quite the beginner but not too bad. slowly improving.

However, while walking around Home Depot an idea came to me. I was looking at this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...053&langId=-1&keyword=water+jug&storeId=10051 and I thought of a clever way to carbonate inside of this thing while filtering at the same time.
It's simple really... you get a filtration bag, similar to those made for underwater pool cleaners. Pour the fermented beer through it, inside the water jug. Suspend the filter inside the beer, add the priming sugar and cap. Let sit. Once ready, just pour from the little faucet in the bottom into bottles.

The yeast would still interact with the priming sugar releasing carbonation. The filter bag I'm thinking of using is exactly what I use in my pool cleaner, a .02 micron filter. I don't expect the beer to be crystal clear, in fact a little clouding is welcome. The jug is food grade, so no worries of contamination. It would be sanitized of course, both filter bag and jug. My only concern, as far as I can see, is the build up pressure. What do you guys think?

Back