Belgian Tripel FG at 1.003, too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
I just finished my first Tripel from cobbling together a recipe through Beersmith. It was around 20 - 25% sugar on the grain bill and used the White Labs Trappist yeast. I wasn't paying attention during the sparge (fly sparge), and the mash tun drained completely... so I winged a pseudo-batch sparge for the remainder and lost some efficiency. However, the OG wasn't too off and came out at 1.072 vs 1.077 (what BS expected).

BS also expected the FG to be 1.002. Mine was 1.003 fermented mostly around 64* and then I let it go up to 72* for the last week (gravity was at 1.014 when I let the temperature rise).

Any opinions on such a low gravity? I'm expecting it to be dry and high alcohol at this low a level, but I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I just finished my first Tripel from cobbling together a recipe through Beersmith. It was around 20 - 25% sugar on the grain bill and used the White Labs Trappist yeast. I wasn't paying attention during the sparge (fly sparge), and the mash tun drained completely... so I winged a pseudo-batch sparge for the remainder and lost some efficiency. However, the OG wasn't too off and came out at 1.072 vs 1.077 (what BS expected).

BS also expected the FG to be 1.002. Mine was 1.003 fermented mostly around 64* and then I let it go up to 72* for the last week (gravity was at 1.014 when I let the temperature rise).

Any opinions on such a low gravity? I'm expecting it to be dry and high alcohol at this low a level, but I thought I'd ask for opinions.

That yeast is very aggressive and keeps a high attenuation rate 73-78%. Mine drops that low as well when I've made that one too. I had to let mine set for a year in the cellar before it aged out enough to really pleasant to drink.

Back