Green beer and hop flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Hello all,

I about 3 days ago I kegged a batch of rye pale ale I brewed on January 20th and I have had it sitting on gas at about 65 degrees (room temp, I am using my keezer for fermenting at the moment).

I know the beer is VERY young but I drew off a sample today to check the carbing and one thing I noticed was that there was no discernible hop flavor or aroma. In fact, one of the only flavors, albeit a good one, that I noticed was that of the rye malt. The recipe has about 50IBU (according to beer calculus) and was hopped plentifully with high-alpha varieties.

Would it be normal for a 'green' beer to show these characteristics?

Alpha acids and IBUs have little to do with hop flavor, only the adds from 20-0.

Are you positive it is fully attenuated? I have noticed that hoppy beers don't smell or taste hoppy until they are completely finished. Even just a few gravity points masks the hop character to a large degree, IMO. You might want to provide the recipe and other parameters for this batch.

Back