Arrogant Bastard Clone all Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawfman

Reaction score
I've been tossing the idea around for awhile, but does anyone have any thoughts on doing an all brett version of arrogant bastard?

I was going to try it with the 90%2-row and 10% special B version and substitute simcoe or amarillo for chinook. So really, it wouldn't be a clone without the chinook. I've been harvesting the dregs from green flash rayon vert and will soon harvest odell sabatuer as well to use.

Any thoughts on how well the flavors would blend?

I agree with the above, high IBU don't work well with the bugs. One alternative, if you're fine with substituting lacto for brett, would be to do a sour mash (or sour wort) instead of pitching bugs afterwards. This method will allow you to get some lacto tartness and still have all the hop IBUs. It's an idea I heard on the BN and have been thinking about trying.

Doing all brett should be fine. I dont know that brett cares how high the IBUs are. Now, bacteria on the other hand, do care because of the antisceptic properties of the hops. They not only inhibit growth but they can kill. What I would do is use one strain of brett, which ever you choose, but dont add bacteria or bottle dregs. Or use the bottle dregs but as you build your starter, add hops to it to select for the brett. The bacteria wont grow, the brett will. It's all speculative because of the complexities of the bugs. But hell, try it, what's the worst that could happen? You get a beer that might need extended aging and might lose some hop pop. No biggie.

Doing all brett should be fine. I dont know that brett cares how high the IBUs are. Now, bacteria on the other hand, do care because of the antisceptic properties of the hops. They not only inhibit growth but they can kill. What I would do is use one strain of brett, which ever you choose, but dont add bacteria or bottle dregs. Or use the bottle dregs but as you build your starter, add hops to it to select for the brett. The bacteria wont grow, the brett will. It's all speculative because of the complexities of the bugs. But hell, try it, what's the worst that could happen? You get a beer that might need extended aging and might lose some hop pop. No biggie.

Cool idea. I may try it out.

Go for it! I agree that bacteria probably won't grow, but I have no doubt that Brett will be fine. Are those sour ales you are getting dregs from? You might have better luck with pitching a straight culture of Brett, but then again, you might get something more interesting with those. Won't really find out until you try it.

i think using the amarillo or simcoe like you're planning is a better call. i don't think you're gunna get an all brett ferment tho since the rayon vert is bottle conditioned with sacchro & brett, but IBUs aren't an issue in either case. I'd recommend throwing in some acidulated malt tho and maybe a lil oak to let the brett chew on. should definitely be an interesting brew.

I was not aware that rayon vert had sach in it...oh well, still gonna try it out. Thanks for all the feedback. I have stepped the starter up twice and will do so one last time before brewing. I have plans to brew it up Monday night...hopefully. I have never had any of the bretted ipa's like the one from anchorage brewing or nebraska brewing, but I've heard many good things. That is where I guess I was inspired to try this one out. The Sabatuer (sp?) if I read correctly is O'Dells house strain of brett and Rayon is supposedly Bret B.

Finally brewed it tonight. I used 10#'s 2row, 1# special B, and then 1/2# of acid malt added after the mash. I got better than expected efficiency at 82%, so higher than the projected 75%. Post boil gravity was 1.067. I used all simcoe since that's what I had on hand. .5 oz at first wort, .25 at 60 min, .5 oz at 20, 1 oz. at 10 and then 2 oz. hop steep for an estimated 68 ibu.
Pitched a 1/2 gallon starter (was 1 gallon but poured as much starter wort off as possible). Time to wait and see.

IMG_6007.JPG

7 Hours in last night, looking good.

Just wanted to update: Gravity checked last night after 2 weeks. Started at 1.067 and now is at 1.012. Smell is definitely all simcoe, probably has something to do with steeping 2 oz. whole simcoe during cooling :ban:

Taste was obviously not too bretty, but that is to be expected. Did however have the characteristics of the rayon vert brett that i used, so fruity/citrus/pineapple kinda thing going on. I'll check again in 2 weeks and see where it's at again, hopefully stable.

Back