Fermentation while away on vacation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

1st real post here. I started a batch of black IPA 17 days ago. I moved it to the secondary after 13 days. I am leaving for a week long vacation in about 36 hours and we plan on turning the heat off (I live in RI).
There isn't any real active fermentation going on now, but will this create any sort of foreseeable problem?
I was thinking if need be I could have my buddy take it to his house, but it seems like too much of a pain in the a%% and I know my wife won't want me leaving the heat on for some beer (Yeah... what's *her* problem?)

lemme know if you have any advice.
thanks much
-Evad Nomenclature

If you moved it to a secondary, then fermentation should have been complete before you racked it. A secondary is for bulk aging and clearing a beer. Unless you added fruit or aditional sugar then no fermentation should be happening.

So there's no reason to worry about anything happening or not happening while your beer's in secondary except it clearing and conditioning. So unless your place is going to be freezing there's nothing to worry about.

If it's below the flocculation temp of whatever yeast you're using, then the yeast is just going to further drop out, just like cold crashing.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

yeah, shoot, just stick it in what will be the coldest part of the house and have all those yeast drop out while you are away. You'll come back to a beer that is ready to rack.

Back