Digital Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
So I have a side by side Freezer Refridgerator. Is there any way that I can still maintain the freezer side while using a Johnson Digital Controller to use the fridge side to ferment in ?

Probably not..
The control of the compressor is accomplished through a control in the fresh food compartment. Once satisfied, the compressor will shut off.
The temp of the freezer is usually controlled by a combination of the fresh food setting and a damper that directs air through the evaporator (freezer coil)
If you are intervening with the fresh food control, you will likely cause a situation where the compressor won't run enough to keep stuff frozen.
there used to be some high end units, like Revco, and Sub Zero that had separate compressors for each side. This scenario would work, but, probably not the case here.

Probably not..
The control of the compressor is accomplished through a control in the fresh food compartment. Once satisfied, the compressor will shut off.
The temp of the freezer is usually controlled by a combination of the fresh food setting and a damper that directs air through the evaporator (freezer coil)
If you are intervening with the fresh food control, you will likely cause a situation where the compressor won't run enough to keep stuff frozen.
there used to be some high end units, like Revco, and Sub Zero that had separate compressors for each side. This scenario would work, but, probably not the case here.

I suppose I could just turn it into one big fermetation chamber for 20 gallons of brew I suppose. Nothing wrong with that. but where would i store my hops! :(:confused:

Saw somewhere where someone hacked out the partition between the freezer and fridge section so that both could be used at one temperature setting.

edit:
I type slow. :eek:

What you could do is find the air vent that moves freezer air into the fridge compartment and block it. Disconnect the fan that blows air into the fridge section. Then cut a hole between the two sections, and install a fan there, hopefully with a flapper to stop air from moving past the fan when it's not running. Then, rig up the temperature controller to run the fan, not the compressor.

When the fridge gets too warm, the temp controller will turn on the fan, and bring cold air from the freezer into the fridge. The freezer will be kept cold by the fridge's own controller. Once the fridge has cooled off enough, the temp controller will shut off the fan.

What you could do is find the air vent that moves freezer air into the fridge compartment and block it. Disconnect the fan that blows air into the fridge section. Then cut a hole between the two sections, and install a fan there, hopefully with a flapper to stop air from moving past the fan when it's not running. Then, rig up the temperature controller to run the fan, not the compressor.

When the fridge gets too warm, the temp controller will turn on the fan, and bring cold air from the freezer into the fridge. The freezer will be kept cold by the fridge's own controller. Once the fridge has cooled off enough, the temp controller will shut off the fan.

I had that thought..Seemed crazy..do-able, but crazy..:mug:

My assumption was that the freezer had to function as such.

One consideration in blocking air flow is it's effect on the defrost feature.
Air flow helps gather frost and condensation. without it, the box would be damp, and defrost may not work properly.

I had that thought..Seemed crazy..do-able, but crazy..:mug:

My assumption was that the freezer had to function as such.

One consideration in blocking air flow is it's effect on the defrost feature.
Air flow helps gather frost and condensation. without it, the box would be damp, and defrost may not work properly.

Could always use DampRid, (or buy the generic version at a pool supply store for 1/50th the cost).

Back