neutral flavored wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veekut

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to brewing and i would really appreciate it if some one could tell me how to make a neutral flavored wine?

Some questions i have include
'
should i use carbon filters?

How do i make it crystal clear?

What the best sugar source? table sugar? agave? dextrose? fruit? sprouted corn?

are there any wines that are neutral flavored already? if so what brands?

Its called vodka. If you have a spiritmeter, you can blend it with distilled water to whatever alcohol concentration you so desire

Back in my early days, we would make a distillers beer. Mods, I am not talking about actual distillation here. Anyways, we would get a 50lb sack of monohydrate dextrose aka corn sugar. We would get a pack of turbo yast (yes spelled yast) from some european country and make a decent %20 beer. It won't taste very good as it really isn't made for consumption without processing. Why would you want a neutral wine?

i am experimenting with essences and i need a base excluding all flavors. thank you so much for the information.

Also djsethall, if i used carbon filter (a large distillers one), plus clearing agents should clean up the taste more correct?

I can't recall the actual name of the stuff. I keep seeing references about it but I don't recall the origin either, swedish? Finnish? Hungarian?
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Alcohol-from-Common-Table-Sugar
But yeah, you can just fine it, run it through a filter and then you can use it as a neutral base for flavor tests.

Chances are though, it'd be cheaper and easier to buy cheap vodka and water it down to the wanted %. You know, unless you either want to say that you did it from scratch, or if you can't buy vodka for some sort of reason.

i am experimenting with essences and i need a base excluding all flavors. thank you so much for the information.

Also djsethall, if i used carbon filter (a large distillers one), plus clearing agents should clean up the taste more correct?

Just use vodka for your experiments. This is beginning to sound more like a distillation experiment and the mods do not approve of this type of chatter. There are distillers forums out there.

Is it even possible to create a neutral wine? Depending on the type of yeast used, the nutrients (or lack thereof), and temperature, won't the yeast impart it's own flavor to the wine?

no no, no distillers talk, i am talking about the "carbon filters" that large distillation companies use or moonshiners, i was referring to cleaning the wine not distilling it. Also i going to work on my first batch today.

Thank you all so much for the help and i will keep you updated on how it goes

Just make a 100% dextrose or sucrose wine (make sure to use sufficient yeast nutrients) and filter the hell out of it. I suggest a highly attenuating neutral wine yeast such as EC-1118. Avoid turbo yeast. In Finland this is called Kilju. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju

I've had this thought before but never carried it out. Well, I did once, but very crudely -- Lemon Kool-Aid sugar wine. It was actually quaffable after backsweetening and being served very cold. Would not repeat, though. Fermented fruit juice tastes nicer. :)

Back