Should I Be Refrigerating ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
The whole time I've been brewing I typically bottle up my batch and then leave it in the pantry a few weeks before putting a couple in the fridge to enjoy. Is there a point where I should be putting them all in the cold, or will the batch "age" or bottle condition best at room temperature? Or does it condition better in the cold? Just curious. Thanks!

The beer needs to absorb the Co2 produced at low temps. Revvy has a good schedule that I think includes at least 1 week in the fridge. After the Co2 is produced, I think you want to store it like the commercial guys do. Cold.

so after the 2 week carbonating period he puts it in the fridge a week and then pulls it back out? thus far ive just bottled, and then put the cases up in the pantry until i'm in the mood to have a homebrew and then let it chill in the fridge a few days..

Not exactly sure exactly what he does, but Revvy has it down to a science. Search his name with bottling and carbonation and I am sure you'll find his info useful.

From what I found it looks like (i'm hoping) that it's fine for me to store the beer for months on end in the pantry as long as a keep it in the fridge 1-2 weeks before enjoying to allow the carbonation from within the bottle, to settle into the beer.

so after the 2 week carbonating period he puts it in the fridge a week and then pulls it back out? thus far ive just bottled, and then put the cases up in the pantry until i'm in the mood to have a homebrew and then let it chill in the fridge a few days..

No, you will want to put how many you plan on drinking in the fridge for an extended amount of time to let the CO2 dissolve. You don't need to put all of it in there and keep it there (though that would be the best). I will typically put a 12 pack in the fridge for a week or so, the drink when I feel like it, replacing beers as I go.

I find that overnight in the fridge is plenty. Revvy's standard is 3 weeks at 70 degrees and then 48 hours in the fridge. Your yeast should be retired, with no part time social security supplemental income, by the time you put your bottles in the fridge to drink.

Back