Tapping kegs laying down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdcoutdoors

Reaction score
I got a 5 gal. Pin locking keg and was wondering if it would work to lay the keg flat and tap/use it like this? My kegerator is very low profile and my keg will only fit laying on its side Will this hurt anything?

Well, your dip tube goes to the bottom/center of the keg. Unmodified you'd only be able to dispense half of it. You could try bending the dip tubes in your kegs so it picks up from the sidewall. Seems it'd be easier to buy a cheap fridge off Craigslist.

i sometimes put a gas ball lock on a picnic tap and dispense from the gas port on my 2 gallon corneys when they are laying down in a fridge. it works fine. demon is right about the liquid dip tube.

Audger, wouldn't that still leave beer behind? The gas tube doesn't hit the sidewall either. What about this? attach a piece of tubing to the end of the dip tube (or the gas as audger said) affix some kind of weight to it so that it falls to the "bottom" regardless of orientation.

Really old cornies have a straight diptube that goes to one side, like this:
8593d1227727682-leaky-corny-not-what-you-think-img_5486.jpg

Just tilt it a few degrees and almost all of the beer should dispense just fine.

Back