Carafa alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
What would be a good alternative for german carafa? My LHBS does't carry it (I should request I suppose) but my weizenbock called for it as does Dude's Red Eye Rye that I'm probably going to make this weekend.

I, II, or III?

As I recall (and excepting the dehusked varieties) they are basically the German versions of chocolate, roasted barley, and black patent. Or something like that. Substitutions should abound.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I, II, or III?

As I recall (and excepting the dehusked varieties) they are basically the German versions of chocolate, roasted barley, and black patent. Or something like that. Substitutions should abound.

Excellent question and I have no idea :eek:. I didn't know there were three types. The two recipes thus far called for carafa with an srm of 400 so I'd assume in this case switch with the same oz's of black patent then?

Yeah, carafa is malted so you can match a roasted malted grain's SRM rating to get the same affect. Roasted barley isn't malted though and will give you a different flavor than carafa.

Back