Fermenters & headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvIPA

Reaction score
Hey guys, total newb here. Read 4 library books this weekend on home brewing which makes me. . .total newb. (But I do at least understand all the concepts!)

Planning to use fermenter buckets for both primary/secondary. (I've read the FAQs & going to start this route 'cause buckets are so much cheaper than carboys. A few batches down the road I'll invest more if I stick with it.)

Here's my question: I'm thinking about starting out with smaller batches to allow me to experiment more with recipes. Is it a huge mistake to put 2 gallons or so in a 5 or 6 gallon bucket? As long as I don't move the buckets or bump them I'm thinking the CO2 layer will protect the brew. Or am I setting myself up to fail?

Thanks!

You really can't have too much headspace in your primary fermenter. The CO2 being released by the yeast is heavier than air and protecting your beer from oxidation.

If you are set on using a secondary (not needed in most situations) you will want as little headspace as possible. This is why a 5gallon carboy is recommended for a 5 gallon batch as a secondary.

As for making small batches, there is nothing wrong with making smaller batches (test batches) however the beer will take roughly the same time to be ready as a 5 gallon batch.

To sum it up, if I were doing small batches I would skip the secondary completely and let it sit in my primary for 3 weeks or so then bottle.

Per bce22's comment, I concur that you should not use a bucket for secondary clearing at all. Leaving it in the primary for 3 or even 4 weeks is recommended anyway. Any fermentation that is happening has happened already up to this point. If you desire more clearness, you should rack it into a carboy and leave almost no headspace remaining, or keg and purge with CO2. The idea with secondary is to let it clear, age, mellow, and so on. CO2 will not really be being produced anymore and therefore wont be able to protect it unless you add it manually.

Thanks gents! Makes sense to skip the secondary for my test batches and while I "dip my toe in." If I stick with it I'll invest in the proper gear and ramp up my batch size, refine technique to include secondary, etc.

The "short batch" makes sense to me right now as I only have a 2 gallon pot. Also I want to try tweaking a recipe to mimic some of my fav. microbrews. With a couple buckets I can have multiple small batches going at the same time.

BTW, my wife predicts disaster for this new venture and predicts a short life for the "brew hobby." HAH! I've choosen a basic IPA recipe and we shall soon see!

Back