Better bottle blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkwudz

Reaction score
If this is an old idea, feel free to tell the noob to buzz off:D But from what i read, getting a better bottle to seal with a blow off tube or even a air lock can be tough.

Seeing how i just bought 4 6 gal BB and wanted to use a blow off tube to start, i wanted a solution. I saw the Poland spring cap at work and it looked like a good fit, and it is. So i got some 1 1/4" O.D. and a rubber grommet to match, cut a hole in the cap and it looks good to go.

Is there any issue with using a regular rubber grommet? the ones on the buckets for the air locks don't look any different.
blowoff004.jpg

blowoff003.jpg

blowoff002.jpg

And here is the version for the air lock, i am going to use these blue caps with the blow off as well. The blue caps are not removed from the original water bottle when placing it on the bubbler, there is a little stopper that pops out. Since they are intact on the bottle, they can be cut off, leaving more to grip the top of the better bottle, they are completely air and liquid tight, and will not blow off or loosen.

blowoff005.jpg

blowoff006.jpg

Hi,
I don't see any problem at all as long as everything is sterile and air tight.

Cheers,
Brad

No. 10 stoppers fit the better bottles.

I use a drilled number 10 stopper with mine and it works fine with my airlock your airlock looks a bit bigger on the bottom so the drilled opening would have to be a bit bigger I think.

I have had no problems with the orange carboy caps. They always fit tight enough for the airlock to bubble just fine, and I've never had one pop off - and if it wasn't sealing great, a simple rubber band around the base would seal it right up. Granted, they will limit you to much smaller blowoff tubing so you may still need a solution like yours if you really want to use gigantic tubing like that.

I didn't have good look with the orange carboy caps, but a bigger problem was that my airlocks dont fit in the orange carboy cap openings.
I know you think I am crazy, I thought i was too. So I searched the forums for pictures that I KNEW showed people using 3-piece airlocks and the orange caps.

But I'm tellin' ya...my airlocks dont fit. I'll take a picture and post it. :)

I went with the No. 10 stoppers. I am going to try the bubbler lids though, great idea.

I didn't have good look with the orange carboy caps, but a bigger problem was that my airlocks dont fit in the orange carboy cap openings.

I have two better bottles and two orange carboy caps. The airlock fit one of the caps, but not the other - the hole was too small. So I got a knife and cut the hole just a tad bigger. works great now.

I have used rubber stoppers a number of times also, but it's really irritating how they will pop right out if the stopper or rim of the bottle is wet when you put them in. Since I like to hit everything with a spray of starsan solution at the last minute, that really didn't work out so well.

i just bought 2 of the orange caps and i noticed that the openings on both of them were not all the way opened. I took an exacto knife and carefully opened up the holes to be larger and closer to the size the rest of the tube is. If you look from the bottom of the orange caps down the tub, you can tell that the opening is actually smaller than needed. And exacto knife cut through it like butter. After i did that my 3pc air lock fit good. Tight but good.

Back