Fermentation issues with Wyeast 1098

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertHSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing an oatmeal stout, OG 1053 and 1L starter from a Wyeast 1098 Smackpack.

During the first 3 days, fermentation temps went up to 74 deg and the room temp was 65. I've never seen this happen. There was a small crausen and then the 4th day this week the temp dropped to 65 and has stayed there.

Checked the gravity today, 1.030?

If rouse it, Co2 bubbles out. We areated the wort well before putting it in the carboy.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with Wyeast 1098? It is the first time I have ever seen this.

Main fermentation has taken place. Roust the yeast and let it sit another week. You should always try to keep the temperature in the lower range during the first days of fermentation and always use a starter for liquid yeast.

Main fermentation has taken place. Roust the yeast and let it sit another week. You should always try to keep the temperature in the lower range during the first days of fermentation and always use a starter for liquid yeast.

My question was about the particluar yeast strain as I have use it 4 times before and never had it push the temperature of the carboy up 9 deg. F above the ambient temperature.

I always use a starter. Start with 500 ml and then build it up 250 ml every 1.5 days while on a stir plate. I'm going to repitch after 10 days if the gravity hasn't dropped.

I've never seen a yeast bring the temperature that much, has anyone else had a similar experience?

Back