Dry vs. Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robklein

Reaction score
Is there a difference between liquid malt extract and dry malt extract. Is it better to use one or the other, or in combination?

I've heard that dry is better to use...Not sure exactly why, but I think it has something to do with the dry being able to last longer than the liquid. Also, I've heard that you get less extract twang with the dry....But not completely positive about all of this

LME yields a lower specific gravity than DME. The syrups are approximately 20 percent water, so 4 pounds of Dry Malt Extract (DME) is roughly equal to 5 pounds of Liquid Malt Extract (LME). DME is supposed to have a longer shelf life. DME does have the clumping problem though.

If I brew an extract beer again I'll use DME.

The other issue is that liquid malt extracts can glop on the bottom of your pot and scorch if you're not careful--that's why you have to remove the pot from the heat when adding the LME, and make sure it is well stirred-in and dissolved before returning it to the burner.

What I don't understand, though, are the recipes which call for a mix of DME and LME. What's the point?

I use DME for the reason mentioned above.

To avoid the clumping problem, add some DME and water in a smaller jug with a lid and shake it up to dissolve it before you add it to the brew pot. Like what you do when you make gravy, dissolve the flour before you add it in...

Ok. so the consensus is that DME is better than LME. Is there ever a better reason to use LME instead of DME though?

Is there ever a better reason to use LME instead of DME though?

if your recipe calls for an odd amount of extract you can go to the LHBS and pick up an exact amount of LME from their bulk tanks and avoid having an odd amount of DME sitting around some corner of your basement*. Thats why I use LME and haven't really noticed a difference between the two. Of course where i get my stuff is pretty busy and their bulk LME tanks are probably swapped out every two weeks so i know its pretty new stuff that im using.

*Of course you could use the extra DME to make starter batches.

Just my two cents

What I don't understand, though, are the recipes which call for a mix of DME and LME. What's the point?

I think DME is a superior extract for storage and measurement. LME can be equally as good fresh but it does not store as well even sealed in a can. However LME is usually cheaper per point than DME.

recipes that mix DME and LME are quite common. Usually it is because LME comes in fixed size containers (3.3# is a common size). To get a certain gravity the recipe will use the cheaper cans of LME in integer quantities. If some additional extract is needed then DME is added to the recipe as it is easier to measure small quantities.

Craig

if your recipe calls for an odd amount of extract you can go to the LHBS and pick up an exact amount of LME from their bulk tanks and avoid having an odd amount of DME sitting around some corner of your basement*. Thats why I use LME and haven't really noticed a difference between the two. Of course where i get my stuff is pretty busy and their bulk LME tanks are probably swapped out every two weeks so i know its pretty new stuff that im using.

*Of course you could use the extra DME to make starter batches.

Just my two cents

Many LHBSes do not have bulk LME. But if they do and they have a high turn over on the product then that is an excellent way to go.

LME is often cheaper than DME, and if you can get some that you know is fresh then there should be no difference in the beer. So saving money may be a good reason for going with LME.

Another reason to use LME is if you want to use one of the specialty extracts like Munich or Maris Otter. These extracts are only available in liquid form.

Craig

both work fine. as stated previously: DME stores better, is easier to measure and put back into storage. it also can give you a lighter color than LME.

i've done many partial mash dunkelweizens with both DME and LME from Briess. I prefer the LME...it seems to taste better. i don't know why...it's possible that i am just getting slight carmelization that adds to the chocolate flavor.

Latest posts

Back