Starter ~ 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes

I've always operated under the principle that you want to pitch the entire flask after 16-24 hrs or wait 48 hrs and decant.
+ 1

If I get stuck without having enough time to crash cool and decant, like this weekend with WLP380. I will just add a little more wort the morning of the brew to make it nice and active before pitching everything 6-8hrs later.

In the end some starter is better than no starter.

Clem

If that's the size starter you need to get your cell count into the proper range, then do it. Or get additional yeast packs to pitch in.

My last starter was finished in under 24 hours, on the stir-plate. Using a stir-plate for starters makes things much easier. There are plenty of threads already that go into it. Mr. Malty can figure out the size of starter you need, with a stir-plate. It's smaller than without a stir-plate, so you use less DME, and have much less volume to pitch (if you don't decant).

Like Golddiggie says, with a stir-plate you're golden - no problems.
Without, it won't even be close to ready.

Back