10 gallon batches-drink some/age some?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
Question to all the 10 gallon (or larger) brewers out there. I'm looking to get into larger batches, probably 10 gallons for now, and had question about what you do with your beer if our kegs are only 5 gallons. Do you fill 2 kegs and only tap one, then tap the other when it done? Do you bottle half and keg half? I would really like to get into bigger batches, but I'd hate to only have 3 beers on tap while another just sits in the keg. Thanks

If you have extra kegs then it's always nice having that extra 5 gallons ready to go. It also helps me figure out which beers get better with age. I also have a friend that splits the cost of brewing a 10 gal batch and we'll each take a keg home sometimes - just a thought.

When I make a 10 gallon batch, I typically split it into two kegs. I carbonate both, and put one on to drink if I have room. The second keg either waits or ends up at a party. If I'm brewing a batch for someone, I'll split it 5 and 5 and just keep half. I think this will be the only reason I brew 10 gallons anymore.

Usually the brews I make 10 gallons of are brews that I've already made in 5 gallons and ran out of really fast. In other words...I loved it. So, I tap one of the kegs and leave the other one for when it blows. Always nice to have something available if a friend wants you to bring some brew to a party. Amazing how fast 5 gallons can disappear.

There is no better feeling than floating a keg of the best you have ever made, and knowing you have a second ready to go!

I generally keg both, but I have an ample amount of kegs (for now.) And as was mentioned before, having a second keg to put on tap after you float one? Awesome.

When I get some time in the near future I'm going to be making some higher gravity brews, when that time comes I'll probably keg half bottle half, then I can sample the bottles to know when its just right!

Keg both. I end up giving so much away to neighbors and coworkers that this means we usually consume 5 gallons worth and the other 5 is given away/shared.

Yeah, I was thinking I'd keg both and just have one on deck ready when the first kicked. Problem is, I only have 4 kegs and their always full with something waiting to go in them. I guess I need a bigger chest freezer and more kegs.....

Back