Yeast attenuation and FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I brewed a maple porter that's been fermenting for 2 weeks now, it's been very slow 1 bubble out of airlock every 20-30 sec from 5 day into fermentation until now. I know the airlock activity means nothing for the most part, but habit activity means fermentation, correct? I used safale US-05 for this and from what I see out there attenuation is about mid 70s. Anyways I grew to impatient tonight and having never used my secondary would like to do it tomorrow so I took a sg and it was 1.018 my OG was 1.098 and my estimated og before the maple syrup was 1.056. Should I let it go another week before racking to secondary or is it ok to rack now? I'm thinking the sugars in the maple syrup are slow to ferment and that's why it's running so long. Any advice or thoughts?

Most people will tell you to leave it at least another week in the primary. Which works fine. What is your fermentation temp? If less than 70, I would ramp up the temp to about 70 to give the yeast plenty of opportunity to clean up after themselves.

If you are dry hopping or adding anything to secondary then I recommend racking now and add it now. IMO, any oxygen that gets added with the secondary additions can be pushed out by CO2 created by active yeast.

This is the start of my third week in primary and I bumped up temp to 70 yesterday. If my starting gravity was 1.098 what should I be looking for on my FG?

Its difficult to give you precise answers without knowing the recipe and amount of yeast pitched.

1.018 is pretty good for that high of a OG. But let it go until you have 3 consecutive hydro readings 24 hours apart that are the same. The only potential issue I see is that a high SG should have took off loke a rocket if you pitched the proper amount of healthy yeast, so I wonder if your yeast was ok.

I'm guessing you'll be ok. Might take a while to condition though.

With my higher than expected OG I under pitched by about 4 grams, I pitched 11.5 g into this one cause I didn't have any more at home at the time. It did take off in about 7 hr. And was going hard for the first 3 days then slowed to a steady 1 bubble per 20-30 sec. Until now. I really want to rack it tomorrow and let it finish/condition in my secondary for 3 weeks. Will this hurt it at all?

that would be the best idea for you to go with. with all that yeast in the bottom of your fermentor, you'll get some funky tastes if you leave it to long. by racking it to secondary you remove most of the dead yeast and you will still have plenty of live yeast in the beer to allow any additional fermentation to occur

Latest posts

Back