i get another A in stupidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
been homebrewing for about 18 months now and thought i was progressing well.
always had a carbonation/lack of foam issue but didn't worry too much as the beer was ok.
turns out i missed a very basic concept - i never measured my fermenting buckets, just assumed they were 23 litres and when i filled them to the middle ring on the outside i had about 19 litres(5gallons)
turns out my pails are larger and i have been fermenting 23 litres,about 20% more than i thought.
therefore i have been using 20% less ingredients and priming sugar than i should have.
in a way it was good since i also forgot to reduce the bittering hops when i went to full boil for all grain.
i am glad brewing is so forgiving of screw ups.
hopefully my next batches will be better now(end of rant)

Yeah, review of the process is good every so often, and looking outside the box is good too.

My beers are getting better but sometimes it takes a third party to suggest a change. SwAMi questioned my mash temps one time and I found out my thermometer was reading low. My beers are now better from that one suggestion.

Back