Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Chocolate Island Stout (Rum Soaked Milk Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunward33

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1084
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Tasting Notes
Rich, sweet, with a medium-full mouth feel and over-the-top chocolately goodness.
This is a sweet milk stout that I designed to make my wife happy. She's not always down for the cause and I wanted something that would make her glad that I am a home brewer.
Mission status: A complete success.
This is one that I will make again and again. I actually think this would be good as a barrel aged or oaked recipe. So, if anyone takes that plunge let me know how it turns out.
The final ABV is a bit higher than stated in the stats below due to the fifth of rum that goes into it.

Here is a copy of my print out from Brewer's Friend:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Chocolate Island Stout
Author: Sunward33

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Sweet Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (standard): 5.38%
IBU (tinseth): 24.47
SRM (morey): 45.51

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (60.9%)
1 lb - German - CaraAroma (8.7%)
1 lb - American - Dark Chocolate (8.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Roasted Barley (4.3%)
1 lb - Flaked Oats (8.7%)
1 lb - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (8.7%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 15.79
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 8.69

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 16 qt, single
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 18 qt, batch
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.56 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
750 ml - Malibu Black Coconut Rum, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
4 oz - Cocao NIbs, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - Irish Ale 1084

PRIMING:
Method: Corn Sugar

NOTES:
Add lactose with 10 minutes left in the boil.
Use 2L starter to pitch.
Soak nibs in the rum for one week and then everything into the secondary for two weeks before bottle conditioning with corn sugar.

Nice! How much rum flavor comes through? How does it compare to Sam Smith's chocolate stout? I like the sound of this recipe, and the nibs in my pantry are tempting me. I also need to make something a bit sweeter for my girl. Thanks for posting this!

Nice! How much rum flavor comes through? How does it compare to Sam Smith's chocolate stout? I like the sound of this recipe, and the nibs in my pantry are tempting me. I also need to make something a bit sweeter for my girl. Thanks for posting this!

The coconut flavor from the rum comes through pretty subtly, but I can't say that the rum itself was overly noticeable. Mostly it adds some alcohol warmth.
I've considered experimenting with a stronger flavored spiced rum like Kraken and then adding some toasted coconut to the secondary along with the nibs next time to drive home the "island" feel.
Let me know if you try it. Just posting about it is making me want to move this one up on my calendar.

Almost forgot to say that I've not tried Sam Smith's Chocolate Stout so I can't speak to that one, but I was inspired by Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout when I dreamed this one up.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that much rum really thin out the stout? A 750ml seems like a lot for a 5 gal batch.

Back