Recipe Critique: Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeman9182

Reaction score
Just putting together a recipe for my first oatmeal stout and was hoping for some feedback. I'm aiming for a fairly straightforward oatmeal stout, maybe a little bit bigger/more intense in flavor than something like Samuel Smith's version. Any and all comments are welcome.

12lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Instant Oats, toasted
12oz Chocolate
8oz Pale Choclate
8oz 80L Crystal
4oz Roasted Barley

1oz Challenger (8.2% AA) @60 minutes
.5oz EKG (5%AA) @ 60 minutes
.25oz EKG @ 20 minutes

Wyeast 1968. Single infusion mash @ 154 degrees

OG: 1.071 (assumed 60% efficiency)
IBU: 36.5
ABV: 7.1%

Definitely bigger. I'd switch the amounts on the last two ingredients, especially with that yeast. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a card-carrying anti-caramelite. You could brew it as written and oak it if it's too sweet. Now I want an oaked stout. See what you've done!

I'll second the call for more roasted barley. Just curious, but why two different chocolates? That looks like a wonderful yeast for the beer, but combining that with a 154 mash could make for a fairly high final gravity. I would expect about 1.025. If you drop the mash temp to 151 and 90 minutes it might end closer to 1.022. It's not much i guess. I've ended up with a cloying beer because of mash temp so i may be biased.

i think your mash temp is fine. 1968 gets a bad name for low attenuation, but i usually get 75-80% with it. i just did an oatmeal stout with it, mashed @153F and went from 1.062 to 1.012

+2 on more roasted barley

Latest posts

Back