I don't use Facebook...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a FB account and I use it regularly. I'm on it to stay connected with old friends from school, out of town family, and to see what's going on in the lives of people I care about, but don't have a chance to talk face to face often. My biggest amount of "friends" are people I went to high school with. It's nice, I don't nessessarly have their phone numbers, or happen to be best friends with them, but it's still cool to hear one of your friends from long ago had a kid or something to that effect. I believe if it is used the correct way it can be a very powerful tool to stay in touch with folks, but if used stupidly, you are bound to make an a$$ out of yourself, in which case I'm bound to either block you or just flat out erase you. I can only handle so many "woe is me" posts or b!tching about worthless topics posts, too many and you're gone from my newsfeed in one way or another.

some, well..most folks go overboard with it. It's cool to find old friends, and check in now and then, but lots of folks live by that damn thing. I like it, but get tired of it real quick. I love folks that are constantly taking pictures of themselves and posting. yes, we know what you look like, into Vanity much? It has it's place in my life and can be fun at times, but it wouldn't break my heart if it went away.

What's a face book?

6a00e55246b63f88340162fd2e388c970d-800wi

AnOldUR said:
If this is a place for confessions, I refuse to own a cell phone. :p

. . . but you gotta love Facebook and Skype for keeping track of the kids and grandkids.

That's what I got facebook for. Fact is my kids, nieces and nephews use facebook and text messages more than anything else. I'm still young enough to adapt.

I do have Facebook. I use it to keep in contact with people I care to keep in contact with. Not the multitudes who "need" FB friends nor the people I never spoke to in high school.

It is an easy and fun way to keep in contact with family members I don't get a chance to see very often. With high school friends that I never lost contact with but have moved away.

I have a 70+ year old aunt that lives in Florida that loves to see what I am up to. She absolutley loves to see my fishing updates during the season. She is also very excited to recieve some of my homebrews. This woman is a saint and Facebook has actually let me get to know her more than I ever have since she is in Florida and I am in NY. This has gotten me to know her more and contact her by letter ( older people love that) and by phone.

no facebook, hell I can't even text. I have a cell but I use it to talk. Never understood texting, really don't like talking on the phone. If I got a text to go have a beer well.......

The wife has an account. She has a huge family. So they talk a lot. I use it to check out small nano's that don't have websites. That is about the only use I can see for it. Like someone said "900 friends"............Really???

Did break down and buy a Trac Phone a couple years ago. It's like $8 or $9 a month.

BrewN00b said:
...or myspace, or pretty much any social media. As a fact this is the ONLY website I actually have a current subscription to; everything else I simply lurk. I suppose that makes me antisocial, but in this day and age of declining, if not completely nonexistent privacy, I can think of nothing else I'd rather do.

Does this make me a dinosaur, a square, or something else all together?

I don't either. I used to use Facebook a lot. But then I realized that I was becoming less connected to people as a result. If I wanna talk to someone I take the time to do so. Not poke them on FB to give myself the illusion of socializing.

I had an account but found it rather pointless considering I could communicate with the people I knew in different ways. The constant bombardment of just crap in the for of invites, games, etc just made it not worth it.

I found it to be mostly just people talking about uninteresting things that generally lacked substance. There is no doubt it could be a useful tool to keep in contact with people, but so is a phone.

I am 24, and I am definitely in group 3, I don't have a TV anymore and I try and stay productive as possible. I feel like I am at least contributing more to the world than, status updates about what I had for dinner or how drunk I got, etc.

Frankly, I think lots of people use it because it gives them this sense of self-importance. Just a note, about 1/3 of the United States still doesn't use FB and has generally resisted it. I think it will eventually go the way of Myspace and everything else before it.

Latest posts

Back