Keg Cleaning and Sanitizing Sani-Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madewithchicken

Reaction score
I have a few questions here. I have been using a product called "Sani-Tabs" to sanitize my corny kegs. We use it at our restaurant to sanitize everything. It has directions for a spray sanitizer and submersion. I usually scrub down the keg (including the little bits), rinse, then just fill up the keg with the solution and let it set for awhile.

The "Sani-Tabs" cost $10 for 150 tabs. Each tab makes one gallon of solution (200ppm.) It is great for me because I can get it from our food supplier GFS and because it is cheap. It is distributed by a company called U S Chemical Corp. 53094. I can not seem to find any easy links with pics and stuff of this product.

The label says the following:
Active Ingredients:
Alkyl (C14 95%, C12 3%, C16 2%)
dimethyl benzyl ammonium
chloride dihydrate . . . . . . . . . 50%
Inert Ingreddients: . . . . . . 50%

So my first questions are for the chemical engineers in the group. Is this product strong enough at 200ppm? Will it be safe on my corny kegs?

My second set of questions has to do with cleaning a cold plate. For those whose don't know, this is a metal plate that sets in the bottom of an ice chest (or really cold place.) It has holes for the beer to run through and it cools the liquid right before dispensing it. I am not sure how well they work but they once were very popular for soda in corny kegs. It looks kind of like:

Cold Plates, Double Line :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I just received a bunch of old (about my age) Pepsi equipment and it has a cold plate and i need to clean it. It looks scary so i want to know for sure that it is clean on the inside. Brushes won't make the sharp bend. I do not want to damage but i want the thing clean. I think the the most powerful keg line cleaner would be best but i am not sure what to use.

I'm not sure about the 1st part of your question, although I think you are talking about something similar to quats and quats would affect your head on homebrews, but okay if followed by a rinse and then other type sanitizing.

I am sure about the 2nd part. The best cleaning that I found was using low sudsing chlorinated line cleaner from Tractor Supply Co and using a pump to run the cleaner in reverse.

Anything that you put in e.g. PBW, oxiclean, dish detergent would work if you let it sit for a while.

The lines are 1/4" ss and will handle most cleaners easily. You might even make a warm liquid of one of the cleaners and let it soak, followed by a hot water flush afterwards.

Cheers,
KY Dan
LAGERS/FOSSILS

Back