WY 2112 characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnagann

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this yeast?

How lager like is it? Is it comparable to other lager yeasts? Do you "lager" it? Or just use it like an ale yeast?

Have only used it when brewing Cali Common/Steam Beer. It is a lager type yeast that ferments at higher ale temps so no lagering necessary. Montanaandy

I recently used it in a Biere de Garde. I fermented it at 68F and it came out very nice. Good malt flavor but I don't think I'd really call it "lager like". Then again, that's a bit warmer than Wyeast says you should ferment it at to get lager qualities and I don't really drink or brew lagers.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help...

I have used this yeast at temps of 70-74 and it produced some nice beers as long as you really "lager" it for a while once it's bottled/kegged

"Good malt flavor but I don't think I'd really call it "lager like". "

I would agree with this. You will not get the clean, crisp taste of a lager using this beer and yet it is not completely "ale like" if that makes any sense. Try an Anchor Steam and that will give you an idea. Montanaandy

Thanks for chiming in. That's a shame, I was looking foreward to making a lager with it... I don't think I have access to Anchor steam here for an example.

Is there anything that it is comparable to yeast wise? Is it more or less like a clean but malty ale yeast?

Thanks for chiming in. That's a shame, I was looking foreward to making a lager with it... I don't think I have access to Anchor steam here for an example.

Is there anything that it is comparable to yeast wise? Is it more or less like a clean but malty ale yeast?

No, there are some definite fruity notes to it. I use it for steam beer, and ferment it about 60 degrees. I've never fermented it warmer than that, so I don't know what would be the result.

If you want a "clean" neutral ale yeast, I'd recommend Nottingham at 59-62 degrees, or S05 at 65 degrees. Those would be more lager-like than the California lager yeast at ale temperatures.

I am curious as to why you would want to use an ale yeast to make a lager (are you unable to lager/cool your beer for lagering?). As mentioned 2112 is technically a lager yeast but it performs like an ale yeast (higher temps). I use the Wyeast 2007 Pilsener lager for many of my lagers and it is a great all purpose lager yeast. A very good all purpose lager yeast although Wyeast has a bunch of other great lager yeasts (2124 is another). If you want to make a traditional lager then I would go with one of these and not 2112. Montanaandy

I have used the 2112 for many batches and like the results. If you can't lager, I think this is a good substitute yeast. Just don't ferment it at too high of a temp like a normal ale. I agree with Montanaandy if you have the equipment to lager; use a lager yeast because you will be more satisfied with the results over 2112.

Ya I don't really have the set up to lager and so I'm trying to find out what this yeast is like. Most descriptions just say that it has steam beer charactaristics and I have not had the pleasure.

I can probably keep it at around 14-15 C (59-61 F)

Edit: Does one usually "lager" this yeast after fermentation?

Latest posts

Back