pur filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone just brew with the filtered water that comes out of your fridge? I have chloramines in the tap water and the tap does not taste good. We drink from the fridge and it tastes good. I have a fancy whirlpool fridge with a pur filter. Am I better off just using campden tabs with the tap or using the filtered water?

Am I better off just using campden tabs with the tap or using the filtered water?

Those filters are quite pricey to replace, so yes you'd be better off with campden tablets since brewing uses a lot of water.

Rev.

I get them for about 50 bucks each and they last about 7-8 months. So, yeah a bit pricey. But, man the water tastes way better.

I get them for about 50 bucks each and they last about 7-8 months. So, yeah a bit pricey. But, man the water tastes way better.

How long do you think they'll last when running the amount of water required for mashing and sparging through them? I use on average 8 gallons for most of my brews (5G batches), some more obviously.

Rev.

Good point. I do biab half batches, so use roughly 4 gallons. Might still not be worth it.

Lookup your exact filter and see how many gallons it quotes. Mine quotes 100 gallons which is PUR BS!!!!!! I definitely get nowhere near 100 gallons before mine lights up that it needs to be replaced. But yours might be of higher capacity. I'd say take whatever number they give you, then multiply it by .66 to remove 1/3 of their quoted number, then look at the price per gallon and see if it seems to make sense. It might. For my faucet filter it definitely doesn't, and I'm not sure if my faucet filter even removes chloramines, but campden tablets are dirt cheap.

All the best! :mug:

Rev.

Have you tried treating tap water with the Campden and then tasting? As long as it tastes OK after that, it's probably good enough to brew with.

Those filter status lights are based on time, not flow. You don't have to replace them until the water output slows which means the filter is getting full and nearing the end of its usefulness.

Have you tried treating tap water with the Campden and then tasting? As long as it tastes OK after that, it's probably good enough to brew with.

Ill give it a taste when I brew today, but from what I remember, it is still not great, certainly not as tasty as filtered water.

I use an RV filter attached to a potable hose. The filters are ~20 for two, and they'll do about 2000 gallons. I also add campden tablets. My water is pretty good, except for the middle of the Summer. It can get a little funky then.

Back