Bazooka Screen in a rectangular mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Because I am sneaky, I found out that my wife got me a bazooka screen for christmas, which I have been wanting.. However, the screen she got me from Rebelbrewing.com is fairly short (12") and looks like it was made for a round cooler type mash tun.. I have a large 54 quart rectangular mash tun and currently use a cpvc manifold that I made, which covers the entire bottom of the tun.. If I install this bazooka screen, it will only stretch about half way across the width of the tun.. Is the fact that it is short going to screw up my efficiency? Would I be better off not using it all? I know I can buy a round cooler, but it seems dumb to buy a whole new cooler and convert it just to fit around my $17 bazooka screen.... What do you think?

If the manifold works, I don't see reason to switch to a bazooka screen.

Save it for your boil kettle?

If the manifold works, I don't see reason to switch to a bazooka screen.

Save it for your boil kettle?

Well the manifold does work but it's a PITA because I cant really get in and stir the mash like I want to because the manifold parts arent glued together, so if I smack the manifold, it pulls apart.. Then I have REAL problems...
Yeah, I know I could glue it, but i like being able to take it apart for easy cleaning.. Plus, I think my slots are too big and it gets clogged so I have to use a huge grain boiling bag that I wrap up the manifold in to keep grain away from the slits (slots?), again, making it a PITA to stir my mash..

I get only moderate efficiency in most of my brews (60-70%) and am looking for anyway to increase my effciency and through process of elimination, I believe my efficiency could be improved with a better lautering system... Hence the bazooka screen..

I dont really have any desire to add it to my brewpot since I dont have a spigot installed and I dont use it to mash with.. I dont mind straining the hops by hand.

As long as you're batch sparging, the length of the screen will have no effect on efficiency. I've used braids from 3" to 2 Ft. with no difference. Should be the same with a Bazooka. Keep in mind that the grain bed provides the filtering and all the wort exits from the outlet....it doesn't flow down the braid or screen. All the braid or screen does is keep the outlet from getting clogged.

Ditto on batch sparging. If you fly sparge, having one drain line in the middle will be a problem, as the sides won't get much flow.

I think it is crap that you cheated on Christmas like that. Just my opinion though.

Geeze.. When you put it like that I feel like a dirt bag... :(

Seriously though, in my defense, she was wrapping the gift in the living room and told me me to stay out.. I went to grab a beer and accidentally walked into the living room while she was in another room getting some tape. she had it laid out on the floor on top of a piece of wrapping paper and I couldn't help but see it.... It was right int he middle of the floor! I recognized it immediately, although, I must admit that I didn't turn my head in a I-just-walked-in-on-my-mother-in-law-naked kind of way because I was shocked at how short it was.... I stared at it for perhaps 2 seconds and moved on.... After investigating on the net I figured out they only make them in 12" lengths.... so that had to be the size she bought me.....

Yeah, that's it.. that's how it happend.....

That's my story and I am sticking to it ;)

Yea you are good to go. I have come to realize that a long braid is best for tangling w/ the mash paddle.

Funny thing, I test drained a new tun tonight w/ a braid to see how much dead space I would have. Watching the water in the tun drain it became apparrent that the majority drains within the first few inches of the outlet as mentioned above. A 12 inch bazooka is likely double what you really need.

Back