6 gallon carboy for 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
i have an 8 gal fermenter that i use as my primary, and i have used a 5 gallon carboy for secondarys up until this point, but right now my buddy has a batch in my secondary.. he had an extra carboy but it is a 6 gallon, will this screw my beer up? it was in the primary for 10 days, racked to the 6 gallon secondary yesterday and it has a fair amount of headspace. when i put the airlock on the secondary i had a small amount of bubbling occur in the couple of hours after... what do you think??

I have 6 gallon Better Bottles and have fermented 16 five gallon batches in them.

I always start with a blow off tube. Some have blown and others have not. I have had one blow even using Fermcap-S

So, you should have no problems based on the 6 gallon fermenter.

Oh. I see now that you seem to be worried about secondary in the 6 gallon carboy. Bubbling in secondary is not fermentation, it is just off gassing of excess co2.

I think that it will develop a layer of co2 above the beer protecting the beer from the oxygen. Others may disagree.

I have done 3 gallon batches in 5 gallon fermenters (no secondary) without problems.

thankyou much, i just was hoping to avoid any off flavors that come with the oxygen possibly reaching my brew. yes, i am having to use a 6 gallon carboy for my 5 gallon batch as a secondary.. i probably wont be doing it again but currently it is the only carboy free to do the job.

If it's for a primary you won't have to worry as much because the amount of CO2 coming off the beer. I wouldn't do it for too long if you were planning on doing it for a secondary though.

how long do you think? it is a 5gal batch of kolsch we are talking about in the 6gal secondary.. how long would be too long before the headspace started causing problems?

Latest posts

Back