Online gamers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumbaa said:
Thats the key to anything. Would you prefer it if they were out drinking until 3AM then coming in hungover?

I've seen that happen as well. Those guys get in a bit more trouble though.

Gaming helps me not spend so much money at the bar. Plus, my wife enjoys it too, so its something we can do together that's pretty cheap. One night at the bar buys a game or two that can be played for many nights. We go out, don't get me wrong, but we can't afford to every weekend, and what to do on these boring old weeknights (when I'm not brewing)?

Lol, I step away from the thread and look what happens :D

Well, when we were competetively playing UT2k4, we would practice until 12 am or 1 but usually not longer. It all depended. Matches were usually about 1 1/2 hours (3 20 minute rounds plus breaks etc). And it was the only game I really played then.

I tend to lean towards the post py Pumbaa that consoles are the BMC of gaming...however the console developers have the single advantage of being able to optimize the code to the hardware. Due to the lack of standardization in the PC world, we have these beefed up machines that do not really realize their potential. I am amazed by what they are doing these days in the console realm. In the PC world, it is like having a monster hot rod and a road full of potholes....but in the console world, the car and road are in complete harmony. I am amazed by how good the Gamecube (pretty much dated already) looks on my tv. That plus limited time and considering the cost of the 360 is about half what it will cost me to (re)build a dx10 system....I dunno it is an awful temptation. :cross:

I dont really have anything against consule game or gamers it's just I dont get into FPS games and thats most of their content. I also dont get into games I can (and will) beat. I have yet to find a consule game that I have played that given enuff time I cant win. Consule games are for the mass markets that cater to the kids, there just isnt enuff chalange to that for me.

The reason I like PC games like EQ and now Silent Hunter II (GWX mod) is the object isnt to win or beat anything, the object is to just kick ass and be the best you can. Games like that you get what you put into it. The reason my rogue was so great was because I put on average 40+ hours per week into him and raided high end content 5-6 days a week, and it only cost me about $15 a month. Sure 40 hours a week sounds like alot but look at my work schedual and then figure I dont watch TV and wasnt brewing at that time. If I played 4 hours in the morning and then raided at night it still left me plenty of time to take care of my obligations. It was also pretty nice that my wife played as well (played to a much lesser extent).

There were times I played until 6AM just to go to work at 7AM the next morning and pull a 24 hour shift but then again it's not uncommon for me to work 48 hours and end up with a total of 4 hours of sleep in that 48 hour shift

The other great thing about games like EQ (and WoW/EQ2 if your into Care Bear type games) is I now have friends I still keep in contact with all over the world. It's not uncommon for my skype to pop up with a freind from Estonia or India, or for me to pop into my IM and talk to people I gamed with all over the country. (when my skype popped up after the tidal wave I was VERY releived)

McKBrew I wasnt trying to be a dick before but all forms of entertainment can (and will) be abused. I've seen married couples break up over games like EQ and WoW but when people get their priorities FUBAR'ed thats going to happen. I see many more people get ruined by working too much, drinking too much, or chasing women too much.

IMHO I'd rather be a geek at my computer then someone in divorce court because I was out all the time.

BTW as much as I hate to admitt it I honestly developed an attachment to my toon in EQ, and I only quit EQ when it became a chore to log in and play because they ad changed the game to a point it wasnt worth playing (IMHO). I was so attached t my toon I brough this character back when I played EQ2 and am currently debating if I am going to bring him back for Vanguard. Part of me thinks it would be a good thing because thats how my online friends know who I am and can get ahold of me but another part of me thinks maybe I should let him die, start over and make a new batch of friends. Either way I can almost guarentee when I play Vanguard I'll probably be a dwarf and probably be a rogue and I'll probably play right on the border of too much . . .

Pumbaa, look me up in vanguard when you get it. I am currently on the all PVP server. Not because i like to gank people for no reason, but i think it is fun to be out doing what ever it is i am doing always looking over my shoulder to see if some tool is going to try to kill me. happened 3 times last night by the same guy, he was invisible. Damn it all

I have to build my new system first which TBH scares the hell out of me right now. I have never built a system befor and having $2500 tied up in parts soon just waiting for me to "F" them up has me worried. Soon as I get the check for the IRS I'll be ordering them. It's times like this I wish I knew WTF I was doing when it came to computers

Pumbaa said:
McKBrew I wasnt trying to be a dick before but all forms of entertainment can (and will) be abused. I've seen married couples break up over games like EQ and WoW but when people get their priorities FUBAR'ed thats going to happen. I see many more people get ruined by working too much, drinking too much, or chasing women too much.QUOTE]

I agree totally and by no means think you are a dick. I tend to give the gamers at work a bunch of crap, all in good fun just for the entertainment value of it. Just like anything else, if you knock a guy's hobby he will get defensive, and sometimes his responses make others laugh. But, I don't really know you guys well enough to give you sh#t, so if I have irked any gamers I apologize.

I've seen all extremes in gamers like the guy who walked around depressed for 3 days because someone hacked his WOW account and stole all of his stuff. But do I really care what they do in their off-time, no- as long as it doesn't affect their performance at work.

I would rather take the gamer over the drunk any day of the week.

McKBrew said:
Pumbaa said:
I've seen all extremes in gamers like the guy who walked around depressed for 3 days because someone hacked his WOW account and stole all of his stuff.

Depressed? Hell I would have been homicidal if that happened to my EQ account. Imgaine if someone you get into your homebrew supplys and took all your homebrew, ingredients and everything you used over the last 5 years. Believe it or not at EQ's peak I could have sold my account for close to $2500

Pumbaa said:
I have to build my new system first which TBH scares the hell out of me right now. I have never built a system befor and having $2500 tied up in parts soon just waiting for me to "F" them up has me worried. Soon as I get the check for the IRS I'll be ordering them. It's times like this I wish I knew WTF I was doing when it came to computers

If you ever want guidance on a build just pm me. I have done it for friends before.

zoebisch01 said:
If you ever want guidance on a build just pm me. I have done it for friends before.

Isnt everything basicly plug and play anymore? My concern is after I get it together and there is a problem like a DOA motherboard and then I wont know how to diagnose (sp?) of fix it.

And now SWMBO is being a pita about the whole situation. I may have to just put my foot down and order the parts and take her wrath on this one. I've been saying I need a new system for 2+ years . . . Now she's trying to jockey the numbers. For some reason she thinks just because she takes care of the bills and bank accounts I dont know WTF she is doing

Pumbaa said:
Isnt everything basicly plug and play anymore? My concern is after I get it together and there is a problem like a DOA motherboard and then I wont know how to diagnose (sp?) of fix it.

That happened to my brother - and it was a huge PITA

Pumbaa said:

And now SWMBO is being a pita about the whole situation. I may have to just put my foot down and order the parts and take her wrath on this one. I've been saying I need a new system for 2+ years . . . Now she's trying to jockey the numbers. For some reason she thinks just because she takes care of the bills and bank accounts I dont know WTF she is doing

I am with you brother. I make the money (she contributes a bit) and just put it in there. When i want something i say "hey, i am going to go buy this" she either says yea or nay, and very rarely she says nay, unless it has to do with video games. My 360 she said no, so i went out and bought it. The same is about to happen to a comp, although i intend on only spending 800 bucks.

When you add up the **** she spends money on to "decorate our home" it is way less than the price of a nice shiny new comp:)

Like decorating our home is something i enjoy:drunk:

3 weeks and i will have a new comp, just watch!

rdwj said:
That happened to my brother - and it was a huge PITA

Happened to me too. I had to call Asus Tech support before they would let me return it, the guy was a real tool. I told him that I had two different types of memory, both were approved brands, and both tested okay in another computer with the same exact motherboard.
His snotty reply, "Well did you try to simplify the situation?'
"Excuse me?"
"Did you simplify the situation?'
"If you mean did I try booting it up with just one or the other of the memory sticks, yes, I did that. It doesn't work. Just give me my return ticket."
He did. If they talked like normal people maybe some people wouldn't hate tech support so much. But at least he was with the actual company in CA and didn't have such a thick accent that I couldn't understand him.

Pumbaa said:

Yeah pretty much, yet there are other places things can go wrong. If you send me a listing of what you are looking to purchase I can give it the once-over to spot any potential problems. Get the most reliable PSU you can get, sized to your system. That will eliminate a good chunk of the problems many builders encounter. Anyways, when you build your own system you take on the role of troubleshooter. These days though, very little has to be truly setup anyways so it is much easier to get a successful build. Just make sure you plug stuff in correctly. The scariest part is mounting the chip and heatsink :D

right now looking at this, may go AMD though . . . thnking about a 900w power supply . . . no clue on the case, just looking for somethng basic but cool (temp wise) will be getting optical drives locally

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard -
Model #: 122-CK-NF68-AR
Item #: N82E16813188009

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card -
Model #: 768-P2-N831-AR
Item #: N82E16814130072

Intel Pentium D 960 Presler 3.6GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80553960
Model #: BX80553960
Item #: N82E16819116247

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4
Model #: TWIN2X2048-5400c4
Item #: N82E16820145015

Pumbaa said:
right now looking at this, may go AMD though . . . thnking about a 900w power supply . . . no clue on the case, just looking for somethng basic but cool (temp wise) will be getting optical drives locally

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard -
Model #: 122-CK-NF68-AR
Item #: N82E16813188009

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card -
Model #: 768-P2-N831-AR
Item #: N82E16814130072

Intel Pentium D 960 Presler 3.6GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80553960
Model #: BX80553960
Item #: N82E16819116247

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4
Model #: TWIN2X2048-5400c4
Item #: N82E16820145015

Now you are just bragging!

Can i get that for 800? J/K

I would say that comp will be good for atleast 2 years of highend gaming.

My pent 4 2.0 with 1.5 gig mem
9600xt radeon is really pushing the envelope for vanguard. matter of fact on high performence setting in graphics it is still jumpy.

Reverend JC said:
Now you are just bragging!

you want to see bragging? A friend of mines set up
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Quad Core Kentsfield LGA775
CPUCooling: Tuniq Tower 120
Mobo: eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA775 nForce 680i SLI ATX
Video: eVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 x2 @ SLi mode
RAM: OCZOCZ2FX11502G K-Flex XLC Edition 4GB(4x1GB) DDR2 1150MHz
HDD: Western Digital Raptor XWD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000RPM SATA x2
HDDCooling: VIGOR 5.25" interior hard disk radiator x2
PSU: ENERMAX GALAXY EGA1000EWL-DXX ATX 1000W GamersEdition
Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
Monitor: Samsung 244T-Black 24"(wide) Digital LCD Monitor 8ms
Burner: Plextor PX-716AL DVD±R/RWS/DL/CD-R/RW
Misc: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard + G5Mouse

I was just hoping to stay under $2500 total cost and got lucky . . .

he dosent have a wife does he:( I do:mad: Isnt it funny how SWMBO's can come between us and our outrageously expensive hobbies.

What did that set him back 3500?

Looks good. You may consider looking at a different memory:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21137

I didn't see the 5400c4 specifically called out there. That doesn't mean it won't work, but to eliminate one variable of uncertainty you may desire to get a different model. Good call on the 8800 GTX. A guy at work was telling me that one could probably expect around double the performance from those GPU's vs. the 7 series. Plus dX10 will supposedly has the ability of accessing system memory for use with your video, although this hinges on the feature actually being utilized by developers. As for the PSU, again make sure you get a top dollar one. (Personally, I have had very good results with Antec).

PS, you'd better be overclocking that system. :D

my offer still stands.......

first one to send me a 12 pack gets my WoW account. seriously.....please hurry, urge to go back rising........

Reverend JC said:
he dosent have a wife does he:( I do:mad: Isnt it funny how SWMBO's can come between us and our outrageously expensive hobbies.

What did that set him back 3500?

he does but also just got a 8figure+ settlement from a disability lawsuit, no clue on what it cost him do know he was trying to stay under $5000

zoebisch01 said:
PS, you'd better be overclocking that system. :D
if I knew how to I would :p

Here is what i am thinking about getting. NOT a monster pumbaa like your friends but it is good and will last for atleast a year and a half before i need a better graphics card.

Core 2 2.13 1066 FSB
X1300 Pro
2 GB 533Mhz ram
160 GB HD ( i have an 80 GIG specifically for games i will toss in it)

850 bucks.

Not bad for an above average machine. Slap a good graphics card in it for 200 bones and i would have a smoking machine for a grand

Chimone said:

first one to send me a 12 pack gets my WoW account. seriously.....please hurry, urge to go back rising........

A twelve pack???? Ugh, thats tough to pass. Horde, right? WHat server?

Wolf said:
A twelve pack???? Ugh, thats tough to pass. Horde, right? WHat server?

Zul'Jin

57 Horde shamen
61 Alliance mage

Personally I would just give it away, but I spent so many hours on that damn game, I need to at least say I got a 12er of homebrew out of the deal.

LOL where to begin. I played online RPG's from all the way back in the day when it was all text. Then went into Everquest, and played religiously for a few years. then went into Dark age of Camelot for a week, Lineage II for 2 days, Everquest II for a week, Guild wars for 2 weeks, until I found WoW and i've been playing it almost since launch on and off. Nowadays i just hop on whenever I'm bored and have nothing to do, which is rare. Even when I played regularly I always had a rule of only playing when both my wife and daughter were asleep. I saw too many homes torn up by MMORPG's.

That's just my MMORPG history LOL. I've played Duke Nukem, Quake 1 thru 3 (in clans through most of the time), and other various FPS's. Right now the game of choice is on XBox 360( i got tired of constantly upgrading to be able to play the newest pc games). I play Rainbow 6: Vegas, and Gears of War (GoW every nite w/ friends)

Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 said:
I must me the last person on earth never to play WoW. :D

I played it for about 2 weeks and made level 30 . . . . and hated it. It was just to care bear IMHO . . . but then again I'm wierd, I like corpse runs and having real fear that everything you have worked for for the last year or so could be undone by 1 stupid move (falling into The Hole in Painel sp?). I also liked the feeling knowing if you screwed up now you would be on a 4 hour corpse run and wouldnt sleep that night, kept ya on your toes and gave you a sense of acomplishment when you pulled off that totally insane kill or dragged someone out of a place they shold have never been able to be dragged out of (rogue remember, I live to drag and backstab)

Pumbaa said:
I played it for about 2 weeks and made level 30 . . . . and hated it. It was just to care bear IMHO . . . but then again I'm wierd, I like corpse runs and having real fear that everything you have worked for for the last year or so could be undone by 1 stupid move (falling into The Hole in Painel sp?). I also liked the feeling knowing if you screwed up now you would be on a 4 hour corpse run and wouldnt sleep that night, kept ya on your toes and gave you a sense of acomplishment when you pulled off that totally insane kill or dragged someone out of a place they shold have never been able to be dragged out of (rogue remember, I live to drag and backstab)

Pumbaa..........I totally agree. I love the fact that if i am not careful some toad can sneak up behind me take all of the stuff i have been workign on for so long. adds to the excitement of the game. I think vanguard will have that if and when they implement safe zones in cities. Right now you have 12yr olds just running around killing everything because there is no penalty for them. still fun for now.

glibbidy said:
where do ya'll find the time?

Chimone said:
thats the thing. You don't find it, you make it.

not true . . .
I dont have any hobbies really other then brewing and screwing off on my computer. I dont really like to hang out with other firemen (not to mention I am a loner) when I'm off duty. Try joining a bowling or dart league when it's guarenteed that you'll miss every 3rd league night. I watch very little TV and no shows regularly and the shows I do watch the SWMBO hates. I'm also a smoker and I wont smoke upsairs, I only smoke in the basement where my computer is or outside. Normally can only sleep about 4 - 5 hours a night MAYBE 6 if I am really spent. It takes me MAYBE 1 hour to get my daily chores done so it leaves me lots of time to game.

My biggest issue right now is I dont have anything to play. Silent Hunter II is ok but it's getting old, addictinggames.com is getting real old, every other game I have I have beaten many times over, I can only read the same threads over and over on this site and WTFSoup.com so often and the other sites I read like Drudge and CATo_Org only change once a day. I listen to talk radio constantly which works out great when your at a computer.

If you get to the point that you are "making time" you have issues

Chimone said:

As tempting as it is I just don't want to give Blizzard any more money. They screwed me over, banning my account for no reason and offering no proof or communication other than a form email.

I had 1 level 60 character on a 1 year old account, so I obviously wasn't one of the people using a Glider to level, but I couldn't get a real person to look at my account to see it was legit. Screw them.

Pumbaa said:
If you get to the point that you are "making time" you have issues

yea, you hit the nail on the head there. I have too much going on right now to play this game. Sure, if I was single with no kids I would probably stay home every night and play. But with work, the wife, kids, brewing, school...etc etc I have to make time.

So only option for me was to quit. Besides I became addicted as hell to the online pixel crack. I had to get my fix as often as I could.

Back