Should I do a rest??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
My lager is only 5 days old and it's at 1.019, started at ,.053, no discernible butterscotch taste. Should i let temp go up for the last few days? It's my first lager and I don't want to screw it up. It's been fermenting at 50f-52f. If I unhook my controller it will go up to about 58f to 60f. The krausen has fallen about half way. Used 830 yeast

No real need if you cant detect any diacetyl, but it won't hurt anything. I usually end a few degrees warmer anyway because it helps the yeast stay awake and finish up a little better. Letting it sit on the yeast for a while longer can also take care of any diacetyl. I let my lagers sit on the yeast for at least 2-3 weeks before I rack it anywhere.

Even though the SG is down, I wouldn't do anything until the krausen falls.

Even if there is no butterscotch taste, there still may be some diacetyl. It's only butterscotch in large amounts- in smaller amounts, I'd say that it is "slick" or oily. If you taste it again, see if you have any oiliness on your tongue. It's more subtle than the buttery taste, but it's a definite sign of diacetyl.

I had a maibock in the primary for 2 weeks, and I racked it today. No diacetyl at all, so I just racked it and will begin lowering the temperature tomorrow. I used German bock yeast, and pitched at 48 degrees. I fermented it at 47-48 degrees.

Back