Fresh Kegs & Multiple Taps Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I did a search where the general consensus is that unpasturized kegs will stay fresh for 6 to 8 weeks. I see these pictures on here...4 taps, 6, 8? Are these guys/you really turning over beer that fast? I want 4 taps because I want variety, but 4 kegs in my house aren't going to turn over in 2 months.

Am I correct about this timeframe? Does kegged beer that hasn't been carbonated hold (ie. The countdown to spoilage starts upon carbonation)? Using the set it and forget it method, it will take 3 weeks to get to proper carbonation...then I have a 5 week window remaining?

I don't agree with 6-8 weeks being a good time frame. I only have two kegs on tap at any given time (it's just me in the house and I don't have people over often) and it takes me sometimes 3 months to float a keg. I find that it gets better with time.

Think of it as a giant bottle. As long as you have no air getting into your beer, it should stay good for much longer than 8 weeks. I think as long as you monitor your carbonation, a keg should be able to keep fresh for up to 6 months in the fridge. I've never tested it that long though, so don't quote me on that.

I like to keep a pipeline of kegs at my house...when I run out, I have another read to go on tap. I usually just seal my kegs when I fill them...then set them aside. Sometimes for up to 3-4 months. I feel like they age better this way.

I like to keep a pipeline of kegs at my house...when I run out, I have another read to go on tap. I usually just seal my kegs when I fill them...then set them aside. Sometimes for up to 3-4 months. I feel like they age better this way.

I am the same...my wife doesn't drink beer and I rarely have anyone over. So you have 2 tapped but a few more filled and just marinating? If so, are the marinating kegs refrigerated? I assume based on the way you responded that they aren't hooked up to gas...

I am the same...my wife doesn't drink beer and I rarely have anyone over. So you have 2 tapped but a few more filled and just marinating? If so, are the marinating kegs refrigerated? I assume based on the way you responded that they aren't hooked up to gas...

I keep my "on deck" beers at 60f in a temp controlled freezer no gas on them, just pressurized enough to set the seals.

And 6 to 8 weeks for unpasteurized beer is crazy. My barleywine is a year old and still hasn't peaked yet. I've conditioned ipa's for 2 to 3 months before drinking with no ill effects.

I did a search where the general consensus is that unpasturized kegs will stay fresh for 6 to 8 weeks. I see these pictures on here...4 taps, 6, 8? Are these guys/you really turning over beer that fast? I want 4 taps because I want variety, but 4 kegs in my house aren't going to turn over in 2 months.

Am I correct about this timeframe? Does kegged beer that hasn't been carbonated hold (ie. The countdown to spoilage starts upon carbonation)? Using the set it and forget it method, it will take 3 weeks to get to proper carbonation...then I have a 5 week window remaining?

My question is why does the countdown to spoilage start after carbonation. I thought carbonation helped prolong the product life?

I've never had a keg "go bad". Now, sure, I drink alot of beer! But I have a stout that I'm kegging tomorrow, and it'll probably take me all winter to drink it. I have three taps, but room in the fridge for five kegs. The rest wait their turn at room temperature.

I just dumped about a third of a keg. It was a barley wine made in early 2003 and it had oxidized. That's the only one I've dumped due to age.

I've never had a keg "go bad". Now, sure, I drink alot of beer! But I have a stout that I'm kegging tomorrow, and it'll probably take me all winter to drink it. I have three taps, but room in the fridge for five kegs. The rest wait their turn at room temperature.

Really?! That's awesome. So you just keg 'em and they can sit for months? I'm a brewing fool right now so that's fantastic news.

Really?! That's awesome. So you just keg 'em and they can sit for months? I'm a brewing fool right now so that's fantastic news.

Yes. Now, some beers are better than others with some aging. If you have an IPA, for example, drink that sooner rather than later. Or at least keep it chilled, to slow down the aging. Otherwise, most beers do taste better with at least a couple of months of aging.

Back