Didn't realize my yeast took 3 hours to prep, can I start....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My (liquid)yeast takes 3 hours to incubate and swell, Can I do my boil and the whole process, cover with the lid in bucket and add it later when its done? I'm just not sure if its ok to let it sit without yeast. This is only my second batch, so bare with me :confused:

Typically you would do just that. Smack it when you start to brew then when you're ready 5-6 hours later it's ready,

You can let it sit for a bit without yeast. Just shake it up pretty good to get some oxygen back in there.

There are a lot of threads on this if you search for something along the lines of "forgot to slap wyeast." I just brewed and used Wyeast this morning. I slapped the pack and left it out at room temperature, and within 1-1 1/2 hours, it was swollen. I'm pretty sure you can pitch it before the three hours is up, but I'll defer that to those more experienced than me.

Edit to add: Also, when you slap it, feel the pack and you should be able to feel the little bubble inside of it. I generally work that pouch down to a corner of the pack and give it a couple of good smacks. Then just give the pack a shake every now and then and she'll swell up real nice.

There are a lot of threads on this if you search for something along the lines of "forgot to slap wyeast." I just brewed and used Wyeast this morning. I slapped the pack and left it out at room temperature, and within 1-1 1/2 hours, it was swollen. I'm pretty sure you can pitch it before the three hours is up, but I'll defer that to those more experienced than me.

Edit to add: Also, when you slap it, feel the pack and you should be able to feel the little bubble inside of it. I generally work that pouch down to a corner of the pack and give it a couple of good smacks. Then just give the pack a shake every now and then and she'll swell up real nice.

You really want to let the yeast stretch their legs and get warmed up and ready to work. So, 3-6 hours would be best.

OK thanks. I could have done it later, but I'm jonesin to start. I did do a search for yeast, but I guess I wasn't that specific, my bad.

jetmac said:
You really want to let the yeast stretch their legs and get warmed up and ready to work. So, the appropriate yeast starter would be best.

FTFY. All that's in the Wyeast packs is nutrient and a tiny bit of wort. It won't make much of a difference if it's 6 minutes or 6 hours. Smacking the pack is merely a test to ensure yeast viability.

FTFY. All that's in the Wyeast packs is nutrient and a tiny bit of wort. It won't make much of a difference if it's 6 minutes or 6 hours. Smacking the pack is merely a test to ensure yeast viability.

My bad , I was thinking he may be using a starter.

And actually, the thing doesn't even need to be smacked. Just tear it open and pour it in.

From the Wyeast web site. "Full swelling of Activator™ packages is not required for their use. The contents of Activator™ packages may be direct-pitched without prior activation. Our smack pack technology is intended to be a tool for your use in determining viability, and in initiating metabolism for faster starts to fermentation."

You really want to let the yeast stretch their legs and get warmed up and ready to work. So, 3-6 hours would be best.

Out of curiosity, if you forget to slap the pack, is it best to pitch it before that 3-6 hours or cover your wort and wait until your yeast is ready to go? I've almost forgotten a few times, just curious. I think everyone has a different opinion, and I don't know enough to form one yet...

And actually, the thing doesn't even need to be smacked. Just tear it open and pour it in.

That's basically what I do when I pitch one into a starter. But I do break the nutrient package, too.

Out of curiosity, if you forget to slap the pack, is it best to pitch it before that 3-6 hours or cover your wort and wait until your yeast is ready to go? I've almost forgotten a few times, just curious. I think everyone has a different opinion, and I don't know enough to form one yet...

I'd smack it so the nutrient package breaks, then pitch it in whenever your wort is at the proper temp. No need to wait if your wort is ready.

You actually should be making a yeast starter for liquid yeast for any beer above 1.030, so I would say you're actually anywhere from 24 hours to three days behind in your "yeast prep" so I think whether you pack is inflated or not is really irrevelent in the grander scheme of things.

No need to even smack it. Just open and pour. The smack pack is mainly to prove viability.

You actually should be making a yeast starter for liquid yeast for any beer above 1.030, so I would say you're actually anywhere from 24 hours to three days behind in your "yeast prep" so I think whether you pack is inflated or not is really irrevelent in the grander scheme of things.

Revvy I agree. But it seems like some brewers will follow the directions on the label rather than get sound advice from experienced brewers.

From the label> "The Activator™ is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates."

Really? "professional pitching rates" I doubt any professional would pitch at that rate. (less than 100billion cells into a 1.060 wort)

Why do you think they put things like that on the label?

White / Zainasheff in Yeast said:
Keep in mind that these suggested rates are for repitching harvested yeast, because that is what brewers are doing most of the time. When pitching a fresh, laboratory culture grown with aeration and good nutrition, a brewer can use up to a 50 percent lower pitch rate.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but this is how Wyeast and White Labs justifies saying that their yeast is pitchable without a starter. They contend that a fresh, well handled smack pack or vial can be twice as viable as one that has been handled in a non-lab environment.

The trouble with this logic is that although the age is available, we can never guarantee how the yeast was handled prior to our using it.

Revvy I agree. But it seems like some brewers will follow the directions on the label rather than get sound advice from experienced brewers.

From the label> "The Activator™ is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates."

Really? "professional pitching rates" I doubt any professional would pitch at that rate. (less than 100billion cells into a 1.060 wort)

I brew perfectly attenuated beer with OG's equal or less than 1.050 without making a starter using White Labs yeast.

Because they take into account the replication of the yeast in the fermentor itself.

Do you have a supporting reference I can look at?

The instructions on a White Labs vial and various interviews imply as much - Pitch warm until fermentation starts (to maximize and speed up propagation), then lower to fermentation temperature.

The instructions on a White Labs vial and various interviews imply as much - Pitch warm until fermentation starts (to maximize and speed up propagation), then lower to fermentation temperature.

Wyeast packs say just about the same thing. the problem is, while it works to get the yeast going quickly, it doesn't really do much to limit the issues that can arise from under pitching. thus the reason many of us chose to ignore the yeast instructions and make an appropriate sized starter. :mug:

Do you have a supporting reference I can look at?

i think we've been through this before, MG. whereas your vials/packs may say they're enough yeast for 5 gal of wort, they're not. again, Chris White (White Labs) discusses proper pitch rates in his book, 'Yeast....' and it directly contradicts what the vials of White Labs yeast claim. it's a pretty widely accepted fact that while WL and Wy make a great product, their instructions leave something to be desired. if you need specific references, a simple search on Google or here on HBT should net you a lot of information supporting this.

Latest posts

Back