This doesn't quite look like Extra Light DME to me....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RighteousFire

Reaction score
So I picked up a pound of Extra Light DME to make a couple starters for this weekend. After putting it in the water, I noticed it looked funny, but I figured it's because the inside of my pots are black.

After boiling and all that I poured it in the vessels, and this is what they looked like....

P1000343.jpg

P1000342.jpg

The flask already had yeast when I took the pic.

Just to be sure I made up a quick 4oz sample with some room temp water and it came out the same color.

Smells fine. Gravity is fine. It's just very dark.

Wait until the starter is actually finished and the yeast has gorged on the sugars... Color typically shifts from [darker] pre-fermentation to [lighter] post-fermentation... Same for starters and brews.

Yeah it looks fine to me. Either way, it doesn't really matter if you decant before pitching.

I think you all missed the point that it isn't extra light. Extra light dme would be a pale color. This is brown. Somebody messed up. I'm not worried about the function of te starter at all. Just commenting that the product I received wasnt "extra light" by any means. -1 to Muntons for QC.

Looks like it to me.....it will be lighter looking when it's fermented out. But that's the color it's always looked like post boil.

Just like how people start threads that their beer in glass carboys looks darker than they think it should and they're wrong. Your beer is having the same light refraction issues in those vessels as they do in the carboy....

I think you all missed the point that it isn't extra light. Extra light dme would be a pale color. This is brown. Somebody messed up. I'm not worried about the function of te starter at all. Just commenting that the product I received wasnt "extra light" by any means. -1 to Muntons for QC.

I think you missed the point... It's not the color of the wort when fermentation STARTS (or before it starts), it's the color when it FINISHES...

Do you judge a brew's color right out of the kettle, or once it's in the glass? If the former, you need to do the latter.

I think you missed the point... It's not the color of the wort when fermentation STARTS (or before it starts), it's the color when it FINISHES...

Do you judge a brew's color right out of the kettle, or once it's in the glass? If the former, you need to do the latter.

Exactly!!!!!

Besides refraction, once the yeast and proteins flocculate out of solution, it's gonna look lighter.

So you are telling me that every other batch of extra light dme I've ever used (see hundreds of pounds) has been wrong in color because it's been a pale gold color and not brown like this one? I am well aware that things change color during the process, but this is a 1.040 batch of a small amount of wort boiled for a short period of time that is supposed to be from Extra Light DME. If was trying to make an Extract Blond Ale I'd be pretty pissed off if it came out looking like this. There is no way that sample will drop 15 points in color by the time it's done.

Just saying.

So you are telling me that every other batch of extra light dme I've ever used (see hundreds of pounds) has been wrong in color because it's been a pale gold color and not brown like this one? I am well aware that things change color during the process, but this is a 1.040 batch of a small amount of wort boiled for a short period of time that is supposed to be from Extra Light DME. If was trying to make an Extract Blond Ale I'd be pretty pissed off if it came out looking like this. There is no way that sample will drop 15 points in color by the time it's done.

Just saying.

Why did you post a thread asking for our input/opinion and then get all pizzy when you didn't like OUR input/opinion?

Just sayin.

It doesn't matter anyway, does it? I mean most folks decant their starter beer off at pitching time anyway, and even if they don't 2 cups of spent starter wort isn't going to affect your 5 gallons of beer's color anyway.

Why did you post a thread asking for our input/opinion and then get all pizzy when you didn't like OUR input/opinion?

Just sayin.

It doesn't matter anyway, does it? I mean most folks decant their starter beer off at pitching time anyway, and even if they don't 2 cups of spent starter wort isn't going to affect your 5 gallons of beer's color anyway.

Exactly...

Almost funny how people get all pished off if you don't post agreement to their opinion... Opinions are like a$$holes... Everyone has one, but you don't need to like (or share) someone else's...

Also, if someone has used hundreds of pounds of DME, that's a LOT of money spent on DME... I could set up a a sweet rig with that much money and still have enough left over for a several sacks of grain. :eek: Considering how DME (where I am) is about $5/#...

Just saying.

Smaller volumes tend to look darker; especially pre-fermentation....

All of my starters made with extra light DME look exactly like that.

How many starters have you made with extra light DME?

Every single one.
I even put it in a hydrometer tube and it was still very dark.

I never asked for anyone's opinion. I was just pointing out that what I got wasn't extra light at all. Might have been mislabeled.

Every starter I've ever made with Extra Light DME has always been an appropriate color.

I am not worried at all nor am I pissed. Inflection is very hard to judge via text based communication.

Why did you post if you weren't looking for opinions ? People tend to answer to threads on forums, it's the nature of the game.

I was under the impression that one could share thoughts on a forum? I wasn't aware that one could only post something if they were asking a question. I was just sharing an observation. People then chose to express their opinions.

By all means, everyone has the right to express their opinion but it's a little bit uncalled for to imply that I am upset or pissed off at someones opinion when this is totally untrue. 1) I don't know you and you don't know me 2) Again, inflection or tone is impossible to judge via written words.

Never once did I say I was upset. In fact I really don't care. Very few things upset me. The Internet is not one of them.

Just saying.

I'm with you. I usually use Golden light because the LHBS moves through the extra light so fast that I can't get enough to keep a stock of and mine don't look that dark until after the yeast is pitched and rolling.

I was under the impression that one could share thoughts on a forum? I wasn't aware that one could only post something if they were asking a question. I was just sharing an observation. People then chose to express their opinions.

By all means, everyone has the right to express their opinion but it's a little bit uncalled for to imply that I am upset or pissed off at someones opinion when this is totally untrue. 1) I don't know you and you don't know me 2) Again, inflection or tone is impossible to judge via written words.

Never once did I say I was upset. In fact I really don't care. Very few things upset me. The Internet is not one of them.

Forum posters will respond with their own opinion and experiences. You could make a post about the color of your doodoo and people would still argue about it on the Internet :D

Forum posters will respond with their own opinion and experiences. You could make a post about the color of your doodoo and people would still argue about it on the Internet :D

Sounds like the voice of experience to me... :eek:

Of course, I'm sure you've seen (and probably posted on) the poo rating sites... :eek:

It's almost like a woman asking "Does this XXX make me look fat??"... Of course we KNOW the answer they want, but if they REALLY want our opinion... Hope you have a comfy couch... :tank:

Latest posts

Back