boil vs. no-boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jusztmee

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me the difference between boil and no-boil brewing kits? And if one is better than the other? Thanks

I'm not sure how much experience you have, but I would recommend using a DME kit with hop additions. That would include a boil. Non boil kits include the malt extract syrup that is pre hopped and does not need to be boiled, just mix with water and pitch yeast. However I don't think that these have the same flavor as the aforementioned type.

Could someone please tell me the difference between boil and no-boil brewing kits? And if one is better than the other? Thanks

I would guess that a no-boil brewing kit is already hopped (meaning the malt extract is already bittered). Brew kits that require boiling are unhopped, and need the hops to be boiled in order to extract bitterness.

Don't buy a no-boil kit.

Its kind of like eating 'EasyMac'(tm) vs. Home made Mac and Cheese - sure both will cure your hunger but one is mobettah.
Besides, whats the point of brewing if you dont go through the trials and tribulations of 'brewing mistakes that make good beer'? If you dont want the challenge and excitement of actual brewing, then get some BMC. :)

-Me

No-boil kits are pre-hopped, generally with hop extracts.

Kits that require boiling will have hops in the mix and you have some control over the bittering by changing the boil time. (this is more like making your mac'n'cheese from a box)

Its kind of like eating 'EasyMac'(tm) vs. Home made Mac and Cheese - sure both will cure your hunger but one is mobettah.

Good analogy!!

Anyway, I have never done a kit beer but I seem to recall Charlie Papazian saying something like you should always boil (even the no boil kits).

No boil kits are basically large batches of kool-aid that take a few weeks to drink. I did one for my first brew and was thoroughly disappointed. Only waited a week before brewing up a recipe the LHBS made for me and it was a much more betterer experience.

Back