Cloves??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
I've had a couple of batches come out after a few months in the bottle tasting like cloves. One with Wyeast 1056 and another with Nottinghams. Any suggestions?

The only thing I can think is fermentation temps, or maybe infected equipment. Does it get worse as they age?

Oh, and bleach. You don't use bleach do you?

Ferment at the low end of the temperature range for the yeast. Esters, like clove, are the products of high fermentation temperatures.

Thanks guys, I kind of figured that much. A few batches this summer got up in the mid 70's during peak activity. Time to buy yet another fridge.

If you have an extra bathtub you can put a bit of water in it then wrap a towel around your fermenter to soak up the water. Add a fan blowing on it and you can drop that thing a good 5 degrees cooler than the temperature in your house.

Even better, use one of the larger Rubbermaid tubs instead. Save that fridge for lagering. :mug:

Latest posts

Back