Flaked maize in extract brewing and cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
Two part questions and if this is already answered in another thread I appologize but I couldn't find it.

1) Can I and if so, how do you use flaked maize in extract brewing? How much? Can I add direct into the boil? etc.

2) What makes a cream ale? All I can seem to find that is consistent is the flaked maize.

I'll hang up and wait for the answer

Thank You

I'm walking out the door at work so I can't give you a long answer....but I wrote something up that might help you earlier this year.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1320567-post8.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1320569-post9.html

From this thread; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/cream-ale-bjcp-guidelines-118944/?highlight=corn

This is helpful too.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/flaked-corn-vs-rice-120050/?highlight=corn

In case of extract brewing briefly, you would have to do a partial mash, or you could try it i in your steeping grains, but I would add some two-row to help with some enzymatic action.

I do believe the biermunchers cream ale recipe has an extract with grain recipe in the thread.

I'll be on later tonight and will help you further.

But the info I posted should giet you started as to the "why" corn is in cream ale....

:mug:

Thanks for the info

The cream ale parts helped a lot.

I was thinking about steeping the maize with crytal before the boil. Any idea how much? I was planning on using 1 lb of Crystal. I was thinking of using either a 1/4 lb or a 1/2 lb. I'm doing a 5 gallon boil.

I was also thinking about using carapils but I'm afraid that'll be too much. I tend to overthink these things.

Thanks Again

Using corn is fine, but add an equal amount of base malt (2-row) in your grain mix. Keep it at 153 degrees for 45 minutes, and that will convert the corn (so you don't get simply starchy haze from it). So, say, 1 pound of corn, 1 pound of 2-row, and 1/2 pound crystal for example.

Thanks. I haven't used 2-row in my extract brewing yet.

Revvy one more question

The info about cream ale yeasts are conflicting. One says that you are supposed to brew it with a lager yeast at around 68 deg. The other one says that you're supposed to use an ale yeast and brew it at lager temps.

Which one is traditional. I was planning on using an ale yeast but I am not against trying a lager yeast.

Revvy one more question

The info about cream ale yeasts are conflicting. One says that you are supposed to brew it with a lager yeast at around 68 deg. The other one says that you're supposed to use an ale yeast and brew it at lager temps.

Which one is traditional. I was planning on using an ale yeast but I am not against trying a lager yeast.

That's because it often difficult for people and even commercial breweries in the old days to brew lagers, since refrigeration was difficult back then, and IS difficult for many homebrewers to have a dedicate space for lagering.

Cream ales are traditionally ales (hence their name) BUT can be brewed as Lagers and also they can be brewed with a lager yeast at ale temps (those were called "steam Beers" or " Commons."

The Kentucky Common is probably the best known of the maize based common.

Kentucky Common Beer is a once-popular style of ale from the area in and around Louisville, Kentucky, that is rarely brewed commercially today. Cheaper than imported beers, it was popular among the working class

It was usually made with barley and approximately 25 to 30 percent maize, with some artificial coloring, caramel, or roasted malt to give it a dark color. It had an original gravity of 1.040-1.050, an average bitterness of 27 IBUs, and was brewed with 2 percent lactobacillum in the yeast.

And even though some commercial examples call themselves "Cream Ales" my understanding is that some of them actually are lagers.

I realized that winter that I can Ghetto Lager in my loft building's garage. The first one I tried as a lager was my cream ale recipe using saflager dry yeast.

It came out really nice, and it was subtly different from my brewing of it as an ale. A little crisper, a little cleaner, and the corn flavor was a bit more pronounced (not dms bad) just a little more noticeable.

I think I mentioned in those posts I liked to that I actually prefer BMCs that have corn as an adjunct over rice. I think they are creamier and smoother.

ok that helps. I'm going to stick with a simple ale yeast. I'm planning on using WLP001 because I am going to go hop heavy at the end and I want the Hop Aroma to pop.

I forgot to mention that I am not really brewing a traditional Cream Ale because I am going to hop the snot out of it late. I realize that the BJCP would laugh at me with this one because the balance will be out of whack.

I wanted the mouth feel of a cream ale and I though it would be tasty to have big hop aroma without too much bitter.

I think I'm all set on the recipe now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again

Back