how long should I barrel age my Stout for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigelow92

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a small 2000 ml kentucky bourbon barrel for my birthday, and want to barrel age a stout im brewing at the moment, but I'm not sure how long I should leave it in there. After tasting the water I used to seal the barrel, I'm thinking a couple days should be more than sufficient, but my partner in this endeavor thinks we should let it sit 2-3 weeks. We want the woody, bourbon, vanilla flavors foreword, but not overpowering the maltiness. Anyone have any experience in the barrel aging department?

Sanitize a drinking straw to use as a thief. Take a small sample daily until you like it.

I think this is an excellent suggestion because the question is SO subjective. I personally think that the bourbon flavor overpowers the maltiness in every bourbon barrel aged stout and/or porter I have tried. But that it my personal opinion. The best gauge for what is right for you will be your own taste buds.

Back