WLP566 Belgian Saison II Yeast - 2011?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieactuary

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Whilte Labs is going to release WLP566 this year?

I can't find it on the usual online stores.

I emailed White Labs. I'll post if they reply.

Thanks.

Here is their response:

Yes! The WLP566 Saison II Ale Yeast is on our July/August Platinum schedule so you should be able to get it from your local homebrew store very soon!

Quick response from White Labs customer service!

What is the deal with 566? I made two starters with extract (~1.040) and yeast nutrient on a stir plate and after two days - not much action. I don't have problems with Wyeast and I'm disappointed. I want to make a saison with this yeast, I've been told that I will be very happy with the results, I've ordered more but how many do I need? Should I just buy 3 or 4 vials for each batch (I had planned on making three - summer, autumn and winter from BYO)

I've never used this particular strain, so don't have any direct experience, but sometimes the signs of fermentation in a starter can be subtle, especially when you use a stir plate.

You mentioned you ordered the yeast - any reason to think the yeast didn't survive shipping? It's been pretty hot this summer.

This article on mrmalty.com has a lot of good info on yeast starters and might help you out.

shanecb and I brewed a saison with 566 last Saturday. We pitched a liter starter and there was activity in around eight hours. He took care of the starter, though, so I'm not sure if there was a lot of visible activity or not. 566 tore through the beer pretty quickly, though, and smelled really fantastic fermenting at 80 degrees. Hopefully it attenuates as well as we're hoping, because it has seemed like a nice yeast so far.

Latest posts

Back