Do I need a brew belt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterbilt123

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just want to start off by saying that this site is great and a very valuable tool for new guys. I brewed my first batch about a week ago and everything looks like it's going pretty smooth. My fermentation started the next morning, the airlock was going crazy and tapered off after about the 3rd day. My question is; The temp in my house when I'm gone at work is set at 63 and 67 when I return, the thermometer on my bucket reads anywhere from 61 to 63. Is this too cold for the yeast or do you think investing in a brew belt would be a good idea. Thanks in advanced!

P.S. I'm brewing the Midwest Liberty cream ale.

well, one of your thermometers is wrong. :)

Seems like the temp is fine, as fermentation happened quickly. 61 can be low for some straings, and just fine for others. The kit you got has about 5 yeast options. just google search the one that you used and you'll get the optimum temperature range for it. a little lower isn't the end of the world.

Hey guys, I just want to start off by saying that this site is great and a very valuable tool for new guys. I brewed my first batch about a week ago and everything looks like it's going pretty smooth. My fermentation started the next morning, the airlock was going crazy and tapered off after about the 3rd day. My question is; The temp in my house when I'm gone at work is set at 63 and 67 when I return, the thermometer on my bucket reads anywhere from 61 to 63. Is this too cold for the yeast or do you think investing in a brew belt would be a good idea. Thanks in advanced!

P.S. I'm brewing the Midwest Liberty cream ale.

61 is a bit low, but still in range for most ale yeasts. You'll be fine. I think the temperature fluctuations are more of a concern than the absolute cold. Get a few more brews under your belt and, when you're ready to buy a bit more equipment, get yourself a fermentation fridge.

Also, you can get a heating pad at WalMart for about $12 that will do all and more than a brew belt.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm trying a heating pad on warm today to see where that will get me.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm trying a heating pad on warm today to see where that will get me.

Heating pads work great, but don't put the carboy on top of them. Wrap the heating pad around the side. Also, if you want a fermwrap but can't justify the cost, you can make them yourself for about $10. There is a guide here.

Back