Cheap Bulk Grain in Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
Can someone please refresh my memory?

So a few months ago someone mentioned a brew shop or maltster to get super cheap bags of grain for like 30 bucks or less. Since I was heading to Green Bay, I did a search and I recall it was only like 30-45 minutes away. Unfortunately, I could not make it to the shop. However, I am heading back and want to stock up on grain. But I cannot remember the name of the place! Argh. I did a big search (google, beeradvocate, etc), but still can not find the site. Bittercreek.com seems possible, but it is like 100 miles away and I am nearly certain the place I previously knew of was much closer to Green Bay....
Help?

Briess is in Chilton, I believe, but I never heard that they sell retail. I don't know of any place else. There is a homebrew store in Green Bay, but they don't have great deals on grain (or anything else, in my opinion), and there is Bittercreek in Slinger, and a couple of stores in Milwaukee. Northern Brewer just opened in Milwaukee, but I don't know of their prices since they've just opened and I haven't had a chance to go there yet.

Yes, Briess is in Chilton, but they don't sell to anyone but wholesalers. Trust me, I've looked into it, cuz they're pretty much in my backyard. But no go. The only way i can think of that you would get grain that cheap is with a bulk grain buy with a homebrew club, or if you can schmoooze the brewmaster at a local brewpub to part with some of his.

I work at the Northern Brewer in Milwaukee/West Allis, so if you're looking for a particular grain in bulk I can let you know what we have available before/if you make the trip. Wouldn't be much fun to get to a shop and have them not have what you want. We usually get shipments from Brewer's Supply Group (main distributor for grain) on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I know that we sold a lot of Maris Otter and Rahr 2-row this weekend, but we should have most anything you'd need within a week.

In terms of prices, ours are the same as on the Northern Brewer website. So Rahr 2-row, pale ale, premium pils, and 6-row are all about $40-42. Imported malts and Briess malts are likely going to be higher, so just estimate by the price on the website.

Back