Hop oils: any experienced users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no experience with hop oils/extracts, but I grow my own hops and I've been thinking about trying to make some. I've been toying with the idea of using something like Everclear. Very high ethyl alcohol content but fairly neutral flavor. I think that would dissolve the hop oils and resins fairly well. If I ever get around to it.....I'll post my results.

Probably not what you were looking for..........just an idea.

Are you talking about isoHop perhaps? I bought some since I did a partial boil for a big barley wine and didn't recalculate my hops for it. It turned out being ~14% ABV and 30 IBUs. It was a little expensive ($25, I think) but I was able to use it to bring my beer up to 90 IBUs and it's much more balanced now.

I want to make a half batch and do all of my bittering with it, while the other half uses bittering hops to compare and contrast.

Northern Brewer has HopShot and Freshops has Hop Oil. Two different products with different uses. I've use the oil for hopping up a blah glass of beer and intend to try the Hopshot for kicks one of these days. As far as I have read the HopShot works well, especially suited for beers with lots of hops to help keep the kettle less full of leaf or pellets.

Back