Brewer's Gold for flavor/aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teacher

Reaction score
Has anyone used Brewer's Gold for flavor and/or aroma? I have!

I'd planned on making a Ballantine IPA clone, so I bought some Brewer's Gold hops. I never did get around to making it (though I still will), so they were just sitting in the fridge. I'd read that they were generally not well received for anything but bittering, that they had a really strong flavor. However, I made a stout with some Crystal 120, and to balance out that heavy caramel flavor, I used an ounce of BG for 20 minutes and then half an ounce for 5. Wow! They have an unusual, pungent floral character to them. I can see how in many beer types they wouldn't be a great choice, but as a balance to the heavy caramel and toasty flavors of this strong stout, it's awesome.

The experience inspired me to experiment a little more. I made an IPA and used 2 oz Columbus 12.2 % (60 minutes) + 2 oz Cascade 6% (?) (20 minutes) + 2 oz Sterling ?% (5 minutes). After about three weeks in primary I tasted it, and I really like it. Of course, it isn't unheard of to use what are traditionally lager hops in ales, but it is a little unusual.

I use a lot of Brewer's Gold mostly in a Ballantine style brew but I wouldn't recommend using them for late additions. BG makes a very nice bittering hop and some used towards the middle will help you capture some of that old Bally flavor but IMO they just aren't suited for use as an aroma/flavor hop. As you have already found out BG is excellent in a stout. :mug:

I use a lot of Brewer's Gold mostly in a Ballantine style brew but I wouldn't recommend using them for late additions. BG makes a very nice bittering hop and some used towards the middle will help you capture some of that old Bally flavor but IMO they just aren't suited for use as an aroma/flavor hop. As you have already found out BG is excellent in a stout. :mug:

When you make yours, how much do you use for a five gallon batch, and when do you add them?

Hmm, I dunno...but I just harvested and after drying I have around 4 oz., which is fair for 2, 2 year old plants. It seems that they are descended from Bullion. I haven't settled on what to make with them though. Fresh the aroma is a little citrusy, but then again it's hard to tell without having them side by side with something else. I have been thinking what BigEd has been sharing, that they are primarily bittering and flavoring hops and that is what I plan on. Actually I drew up a Dry Stout for it, but other things that come to mind are an ESB or an English IPA.

Cool, thanks. It looks fairly similar to the one I drew up, except I'm going to use Saaz hops (I think that's what it was). I'm basing that and my planned OG (1.070, I think) on information that's been taken from interviews with old Ballantine brewers.

Back