Just bottled!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpw123

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew on Sunday, and i was pleasantly surprised by the way it tasted. It seemed a little "green" and had somewhat of a bland flavor, but it is my understanding that time in the bottles will turn this around.

I have read in a few different places, and actually a bunch on this forum that for a new brewer it is beneficial to try bottled beers before they have matured because it helps understand the process of aging and bottling. Does anybody have any feedback on this? Should i try one every week, every few days?

It is a standard American wheat beer, so i dont think it needs to bottle age for to long. Will a solid 2-3 weeks be enough?

Thanks for the advice in advance! :mug:
JPW

Since it's your first batch, I'd try one after a week, just to satisfy your curiosity and then one more in three weeks. You'll see a dramatic difference between the two, which should encourage patience with future batches.

Speaking of which, get your next batch going right away! The waiting is a lot easier when you've already got the pipeline full. And make a point of stashing away a six-pack of each batch and forgetting about it...when you find it in six months to a year, it will be a wonderful, well aged surprise.

A good experiment, for any brewer to do, is to pull a beer out on the 7th day in the bottle and chill it for 2...then taste it...make notes on the tastes and the level of carb. Do it again on the 14th day, the 21st and the 28th...you'll really see the difference.

Then leave a bottle stashed away for 6 months...chill that and taste it...and go back and read your notes... You'll learn a heck of a lot about beer doing that.

Back