Adding body after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just racked my Mad Elf clone off the cherries into a carboy to clarify and tasted the little bit leftover. It was thin. Is there anyway to put a bit of body back into the beer after fermentation?

Maybe adding some maltodextrine?
Will carbonation add body?

Next time I will increase my mash temp.

DraconianHand said:
But can this be added after fermentation?

I've added maltodextrin after fermentation for the same reason. It helped but definitely did not completely solve the problem.

How much do yiu add? I just brewed a pumpkin ale that is 1.00 after fermentation, and I'd love to add some body. Any thoughts?

I'm in the same boat so someone please help!

Brewed an all grain version of northern brewers smashing pumpkin (my first all grain) and totally screwed it up.

Mashed too low, stuck sparge even with rice hulls, and added too much top up water as a result. Completely fubared this one.

Anyway OG came out at 1.042 (supposed to be 1.052) and ended up finishing at 1.006. Tastes way too thin as a result.

Anyway thinking of adding a combo of lactose and malto or either or to back sweeten and hopefully add a bit of body.

Was planning to do a taste test with a small sample scaled down to make sure it tastes ok before throwing in on the whole 5 gallon batch.

Anyway how much you guys think I should add for 5 gallons?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Back