Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmcl1978

Reaction score
Ok. So I have realized that I did not aerate my wort enough before pitching my yeast (since OG was much less than it should have been). However, being a newb I just thought that was what it was supposed to be until I read some more. How much will this screw up my brew and affect the FG? thanks

That depends a lot on what strain you used and what it is fermenting. We need to know at a minimum: yeast strain, amount of yeast pitched, beer style, and OG.

When did this happen? If you brewed today then it's not too late to aerate.

I brewed it a week ago today.
It was the Dogfish Head 60 min clone with one pack of Nottingham dry yeast.
The original OG reading I took was a 1.052.
Took a reading today and it was 1.018

I bet you will be ok. Nottingham really cuts through the sugar and you should of had a high enough pitch rate where the lack of oxygen should be a minimal factor.

Great! With Nottingham you'll be fine. Just give it another week and check the gravity again. It will probably be fully attenuated by then.

thanks for the help. So my og reading of 1.052 is probably bogus and since it was mainly extract I can be pretty safe ASSuming it was around a 1.070

The attenuation rate of Nottingham is in the 75% range. If you started at 1.070 and you're last SG was 1.018 you're at a 75% attenuation. I would check it again in 3 days and if it's the same SG you're finished fermenting.

muchogusto said:
the attenuation rate of nottingham is in the 75% range. If you started at 1.070 and you're last sg was 1.018 you're at a 75% attenuation. I would check it again in 3 days and if it's the same sg you're finished fermenting.

+1

When yeast are dried they are dried with their sterols at peak levels. They don't need a respiratory phase to be able to reproduce. If you use liquid yeast your going to want to do your best to air saturate the wort. Air saturation is enough.

Back