Myrish red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosper

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
yep
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 19C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 @ 19C
Tasting Notes
Nice \'n malty
I've brewed a variation of this recipe a few times now. It's loosely inspired by the Irish red style.

8.5 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs CaraRed (or caravienne)
1.5 lbs Dark Munich
2 oz Black Patent Malt

2oz Goldings @ 90 mins (5%AA)
1/2oz Cascade @ KO (steep for 20 mins before chilling)

Mash really, really high. 158 to 160F.

Taste is primarily malty with a nice satisfying body, and just a hint of bitter roastiness. Despite the relatively high IBU's, this one is a crowd pleaser. Swap out the late hops with anything you like, Challenger also makes a nice and slightly earthier interpretation. Use a yeast with some light character, 1084 and 1028 are my favourites, but in the future I may try 1450 'Denny's Favourite' with this one. The only dry yeast that I might consider would be Windsor; all the others attenuate far too much.

I just put my most recent version of this on tap tonight. It's this exact recipe, but with 3 oz of BP, and using Wyeast 1450. It's delicious. Nice and malty-sweet up front, but balances very nicely with the faint roast and the IBU's for a clean (and not cloying) finish.

At this moment in time, this is probably my favourite recipe to date.

Latest posts

Back