Red Plum Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
A bit late for critique as I prefer but figured I'd post anyway.

I had made an old ale about a year ago as I wanted to do a beer that I'd age for a bit (6+ months). After about 3-4 months I tried one and was amazed at how plum-like it was. So this is my take on a more sessionable plum beer that I decided to see if I could make red by using carared. This is my 5.5 gal batch:

7.5 lbs 2-row
1.25 lbs soft white wheat berries
0.75 lb Special B
0.5 lb carared
1 oz Willamette (7.7%) @ 70 mins
US-05

1.050/1.010
5.2% + ~0.2% priming sugar
25 IBUs
12 SRM

I to shoot for a mash of 152-154* as usual with a 1.5 qt/lb thickness. My water, though not thoroughly tested (using online annual water report), after treating (75% RO dilution) is ~ Ca 72, Mg 9, Na 19, Cl 86, SO 99, and with a mash pH of 5.38 (I shoot for middle of the road in case any numbers may be off). I use Brewer's Friend's advanced water calculator using the grain bill to estimate the pH with my water.

I know that's flying by the seat of my pants, and likely there are many who would scoff, but the price of the testing equipment is a bit too much, and I read those pH strips aren't even accurate.

I've also used Melanoidin for red color. As for the plum flavor, you don't mention what yeast you used. I've found some yeasts (Trappist comes to mind) give a plummy flavor, especially at higher fermentation temps. The Special B may also give you some of that.

Oops. Yeah, I missed the US-05. I've heard of that getting peach flavors but not plum. One thing I just though of is you could try carmelizing some of your first runnings and then adding it back to the boil. That can get you some plummy flavor. I did it with about a gallon of first runnings. Boiled it separately from my main boil until it got really syrupy then added back to the main boil. A gallon ended up as about 12 oz of carmelized syrup. I really liked the results and it was definitely a plummy flavor.

Back