four week old yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
Made beer about a month ago. When I racked from the fermenter I left a layer of beer on top of the yeast cake b/c I had intended to make another batch rather soon after and reuse the yeast.

I got busy and I only have time to make beer now...four weeks later. At this point I am not sure about my yeast cake. Is it too old? Is it contaminated? Have other homebrewers pitched on top of a four week old yeast cake??

The yeast is currently in my glass carboy that has remained in my fermentation frig at 64 degrees. There is a solid layer of beer on top of it so it is completely covered. My carboy only has a foil cap - I didn't put a airlock on it or anything like that. A visual inspection reveals fairly unassuming layers of beer and yeast inside. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I should note that this batch of yeast made an awesome beer that I am drinking right now - it is WL trappist ale that I made a starter with before using.

What would you do? Reuse or dump?

Back