High FG projected from Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
I'm building my mash tun this week so over the weekend I can brew my first all grain batch. I won't yet have a turkey fryer, so I'll be boiling stove top (4 gallon boil, 3 gallon batch).

I've put together a recipe using Beersmith (see below), and it's predicting a FG of 1.018, which seems a little high for a projected 6.7%ABV IPA.

Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.01 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Custom Setup
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.42 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.90 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.3 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Safale #US-05) Yeast-Ale

I understand no program can really determine FG ahead of time, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't change some things around (maybe lower the mash temp, etc) to avoid the potential for such a high FG.

Anyone have any suggestions?? Btw I'm pretty pumped to learn the ins and outs of all-grain brewing.

i don't put too much stock in the BeerSmith projections for FG. if you mash at 149-150 your beer will dry out more than BeerSmith with tell you. once you dial in your system you'll know what to expect from your mash temps.

Drop the amount of the 2 Row to 5 pounds, and also drop the Vienna to 1/2 pound. If you also remove the cara-pils you'll get a lower OG/FG and %ABV... Making those changes, you should get an OG of 1.054; FG of 1.014; with a 5.23% ABV...

FG is typically a result of how much fermenting sugars are in the wort. Adding the cara-pils adds more sugar (it's mostly sugar anyway) and really isn't needed (in my opinion) with the Crystal Malt 60L you're using. Unless you're set on getting the OG within the American IPA style range.

Is this supposed to be an IPA?? You failed to put what style brew you're looking to make in the recipe... But, with the color, and amount of hops (and IBU levels) it looks like an IPA to me.

With a first AG brewing, I wouldn't be too concerned with what you're going to get for actual gravity numbers, and ABV... For the first few batches (at least) you'll be dialing in your setup. I would assume 70% efficiency for a first try, but hoping for higher. Have some DME on hand in case you need to increase the gravity...

i don't put too much stock in the BeerSmith projections for FG. if you mash at 149-150 your beer will dry out more than BeerSmith with tell you. once you dial in your system you'll know what to expect from your mash temps.

This is true. I love Beersmith, but the FG prediction is useless.

To see why I say that, put 100% corn sugar into one gallon water in a "recipe". Then do it with 100% crystal malt. Now, a 100% corn sugar "beer" or wine will ferment to .990 in real life. 100% crystal malt won't ferment much, if at all. But Beersmith gives you the same FG estimate whether you're using 100% crystal malt, 0r 100% corn sugar.

The FG estimate in Beersmith just comes as a figure of like 75% of the the OG, which we all know is a guess at best. In other words, the FG prediction has to come from you! Using the yeast strains probable attenuation, and the mash temps, and the ingredients, you can come up with a great guess as to the probably FG. We can help you until you get some experience!

PS- your recipe is fine! 10% crystal malt might be a little on the high end but still acceptable in an IPA.

Mash it at 152, and I think it'll be a great beer!

The beersmith estimate is not very acurate. I don't think it takes mash temp into account at all.

I would not change your recipe. Mash 149-152 and you will have a fairly low finish gravity. 154-156 will probably hit the BS target. 158 to 165 will be higher then the target.

This assumes you pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast, oxygenate your wort and properly manage the fermentation temps.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back