Strong Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymi86

Reaction score
I'm planning a strong golden ale that I will be brewing sometime next week. Im really looking for a pear / apple ester profile with low phenols and a nice dry finish. I was planning on using WLP570 / Wyeast 1388 (Duvel strain). I was just thinking has anyone used the Dupont strain for this? I've read it's noted for fruity esters, low phenols, and very good attenution. I have a fermentation chamber with heat and cooling so I'm not worried about the higher temp required by the Dupont strain. I haven't used either of these yeasts yet but I would love to hear your thoughts.

1388 will give you all the apple and pear that you want. Keep it cool (around 68 F) for the first few days then let it ramp up.

Wlp 570 is a SUPER slow flocculater. Go 3 weeks in primary and at least a month in secondary. It's one of the few strains I feel a secondary is beneficial.

Thanks for the tips! I ended up using Wyeast 1388 and brewed on Thursday. The krausen has fallen as of this morning. I'll plan on leaving it for a while and then transferring to let it clear. :mug:

Back