Favorite place to buy extract kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess would be that the supplier is eating a huge shipping charge because that's what they promised on their website (free shipping on orders in the con us over $100). That's not what they are doing on every order, though. If they gave free shipping to AK, they'd be eating a huge cost on every order to AK. (How about a $100 order that comes to 33 lbs and costs $130 to ship?)

Honestly, I don't see what all the bs about 'part of the United States' is. If you are shipping ground, your packages have to go THROUGH another country to get to you. If you go by air, it's already expensive as hell, plus they have to fly 2-3 times as far as regular shipments.

Here's another way to think of it. I priced up the same items from Midwest. Shipped from St Paul to La Crosse, it would cost me 10.00 the cheapest way (priority mail was actually 14, I'm assuming the 'home delivery' is UPS). That's 140 miles, so about 7 cents a mile. Shipping to fairbanks was 40.50, and that's over 3000 miles, so about 1.3 cents a mile. Sounds like Midwest is the place you should order from...

Also, don't forget that a lot of the homebrew suppliers are shipping their products out using some form of expedited shipping so that things like liquid yeast don't spend 2-3 weeks roasting in the heat (which, I think, is the primary reason they aren't using priority mail, where the only guarantee you can get about delivery is it WON'T be swift). For example, that 202.14 charge from Northern Brewer is Fedex 2 day.
Thanks for the info. I came to the same conclusion--MidWest would probably be the best option for me. Just an FYI; we receive everything in Teller, AK by air. It doesn't matter what kind of postage I pay for, once the freight hit Alaska, it's put on a plane for Teller (no roads into Teller; everything is flown in. Teller is a village on a spit in the tundra). So it doesn't matter if I pay someone $200 for FedX or $40 for ground, which will also be flown to AK and then flown to Teller. None of the freight will go through Canada.

Thanks for the info. I came to the same conclusion--MidWest would probably be the best option for me. Just an FYI; we receive everything in Teller, AK by air. It doesn't matter what kind of postage I pay for, once the freight hit Alaska, it's put on a plane for Teller (no roads into Teller; everything is flown in. Teller is a village on a spit in the tundra). So it doesn't matter if I pay someone $200 for FedX or $40 for ground, which will also be flown to AK and then flown to Teller. None of the freight will go through Canada.

They fly it to Alaska for $40?

I'd have thought they would send it by truck to Anchorage or Fairbanks or someplace (wherever the processing center there is) and then fly out whatever needs to be flown...

Well here is a quote from the owner from a previous thread here. It sounds to me like it is a competition issue, but maybe a read it wrong.

Originally Posted by Keith_Mahoney
Last time I looked at AHS they didn't list the types of hops included in the kits. I'm not saying they need to go as far as NB and post the whole recipe but I would at least like to know what kind of hops are included in the kits. That is the main reason I never used them even though all the reviews are great.

We will gladly tell you what is in any kit, you just have to ask. We have the most kits and most award winning kits. If you read the reviews on our web site you will see that we have the best kits.

I just don't want our website to be the recipe database for other homebrew stores. Also, if the recipes are posted, people just take the recipe to their local place to be filled. I develop the recipes and I would like people to buy my recipe from me at least once. The instructions have full disclosure. Then when you love the recipe, you can buy the ingredients anywhere you like. Sounds reasonable right?

Forrest

I give AHS my business 90% of the time... Fast shipping and they do indeed send you the recipe via email if you ask... No questions asked and they are quick about it! I compared two recipes just last week from the same style to choose what I wanted to do. Never had a bad experience! :tank:

When? I'm waiting *not so* patiently :)

Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew --

We are about to launch 20 $20 kits for our 20th anniversary. Lowest price kits and free shipping if your order is over $100.
Forrest

Whoa, hold on there. You mean Alaska IS in the USA?????
Yep, sma*ta**. The argument that I hear for not receiving any promo freight prices is that it costs more to ship to Alaska. As "the dork" pointed out; for example, he/she can receive a shipment for $20 +/-; it would cost $40+/- to ship to Spokane; and $60 +/- to ship to Fairbanks. So if I follow dorklord's reasoning--because it costs 3x as much to ship to Alaska, everyone in Alaska must pay full charge for freight, but it's ok if you live in WA, and freight only costs 2x as much, then the supplier will ship to you for flat rate or free. I understand the cost to ship product to Alaska can be very high. Perhaps the suppliers could offer some type of discount over a specified $ amount. It's so easy to be a sma*ta** when you have the anonymity of the internet and 3000 miles of space.

Yep, sma*ta**. The argument that I hear for not receiving any promo freight prices is that it costs more to ship to Alaska. As "the dork" pointed out; for example, he/she can receive a shipment for $20 +/-; it would cost $40+/- to ship to Spokane; and $60 +/- to ship to Fairbanks. So if I follow dorklord's reasoning--because it costs 3x as much to ship to Alaska, everyone in Alaska must pay full charge for freight, but it's ok if you live in WA, and freight only costs 2x as much, then the supplier will ship to you for flat rate or free. I understand the cost to ship product to Alaska can be very high. Perhaps the suppliers could offer some type of discount over a specified $ amount. It's so easy to be a sma*ta** when you have the anonymity of the internet and 3000 miles of space.

Looks like I hit a nerve. Sorry. :ban: I have no clue what the dancing banana has to do with anything, but I thought it may lighten the mood here. Hope it helped. :ban:

It looks like AHS now has the $20 kits on sale, so check out their website for more info.

As for shipping prices, this is all at the discretion of the company based on profit and loss. We can question it all we want, but at the end of the day as a consumer you have to make the decision that is best for you. We all have options, but some of us have more than others based on things like discretionary income, geographic location, time, desire, etc...

I shop online because I can get better prices and (hopefully) fresher ingredients than my LHBS. But if prices were more than my LHBS, I'd switch to shopping locally. If I didn't have a LHBS, then obviously I'd be stuck paying the prices the online guys charged or I could switch to a less expensive hobby.

I'v been getting kits from Amazon.com they have good prices and free super saver shipping over $25

Northern Brewer!!!

I have really enjoyed their extract recipes.

I recently stopped in at Northern brewer for the first time. Much much cheaper then my LHBS. To order it, I dont save much (still save a little on extract kits) but since I frequent the twin cities area, Im going to have to make a habit of stopping in for my ingredients or kits.

My local store has kits, and I DO like supporting them..but lets face it..Im broke :tank:

Back