Questions about a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I'm looking at a recipe cloning fullers esb. Before I get all the stuff I have some questions:

It says 6 and 2/3 lbs light malt extract. I'm assuming it means LME because anytime it asks for dry it says it specifically. So I take 6 and 2/3 times .75 and that would give me about 5 lbs of dry? Does that sound right? The store I go to only sells dry is why I'm asking.

Also it calls for 2 tablespoons of lactic acid at bottling. Does that seem like to much? Do I put that right into the bottling bucket or do I dissolve it with the priming sugar?

I'm using the book Homebrewers recipe guide if that helps.

Thanks,
popscube

Yes, you are correct about your assumption that the recipe calls for 6 2/3# LME. I feel comfortable saying so because canned LME comes in 3.3# cans, so 6.6# is easy to believe. Five pounds of DME also sounds fine, but I expect there is more malt in it that just that, or you are coming in pretty light for an ESB.

Now, lactic acid? I wouldn't expect that in a Fuller's ESB clone. Someone may come on here and dope slap me, and that's fine, but I would be very wary about that recipe.

TL

Back